Let's agree that we're in agreement about the climate and move on
An international team of scientists recently surveyed almost 12,000 climate science research publications to gauge the consensus on manmade global warming among people who know lots about climate science. They did this because some people still like to pretend like there’s plenty of skepticism and doubt about what’s causing all this.
What did they find? Well, of the 4,000 papers that declared a position on the cause of global warming since 1991, 97.1% of them agreed that humans were causing a majority of global warming. The rest? Most of them didn’t claim a position because it’s so well-accepted that they didn’t want to waste the space.
And just how small is the leftover, even if it was real doubt (which it isn’t)? That 2.9% remainder is less than:
- The percentage of Americans who think we never landed on the moon (6%)
- The percentage of Americans who think a UFO landed in Roswell (21%)
- The percentage of Americans who believe in Bigfoot (14%)
- The percentage of Americans who think airplane contrails are chemicals secretly released by the government to control our minds (5%)
- The percentage of Americans who think lizard people secretly control the government (4%)
- The percentage of Americans who think Paul McCartney died in a car crash in 1966 (5%)
Can we start accepting how much everyone who understands the science is in agreement and work on fixing it and adapting to it? The doubt is not real. Just like the Loch Ness Monster.
Read more about the climate research survey at Smithsonian.com. Read more about the crazy psychology behind conspiracy theories here (which is all I am willing to call climate science denialism from here on out).
- scientists: "extreme weather is becoming the norm thanks in part by man-made climate alterations due to our excessive and illogical methods of extracting natural resources, we can't even change the first one now, but we can stop it from getting worse"
- people: lol nah ur just foolin us.
- sandy: hey
- people: HELP ME SCIENCE
- sandy: ok Im done fuckin shit up, cya
- scientists: so.... can we start creating smarter policies to manage our natural resources yet?
- people: lol nah ur just foolin us