Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
“In the final analysis, the term "Judeo-Christian" is nothing less than a blatant coup d’état, a forced misappropriation onto the face of a new religion of what rightfully belongs to a much older one. The term “Judeo-Christian” is therefore not only an oxymoron, it is outright sacrilegious, a dishonor to the millions of Jews who were tortured or killed for their refusal to convert to Christianity, and, by association, wrongfully links the Jewish people and its ancient scriptures as accomplices to centuries of Christian slaughter and oppression of other indigenous peoples as well via Christianity’s sorely misguided and misapplied interpretation of the “Old Testament.”—Gershon Winkler, The Judeo-Christian Fiction (2008) Lulu Press.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES: WISDOM OF THE AXIAL AGE
1. Be compassionate. Compassionate in both thought and deed. Learn to recognize that the actions of others is often caused by spiritual pain. Avoid contempt. Avoid those mental judgments we always make of others. Compassion leads to harmony and harmony and balance is the key to inner peace.
2. Be kind. Very simple. In every interaction you have you have an opportunity to add to the sum total of good. No act of kindness or charity is too small. It does not matter if you receive gratitude. At times your acts of kindness will even cause resentment in others. That is their way. Let yours be kindness.
3. Be Forgiving: Forgive others and mostly yourself. Forgiveness is not easy. It requires effort to let past harms and slights go. You may be perfectly justified in your anger, sorrow or resentment but it does not matter. Resentments do not harm the object of your resentment. They harm only you. Much of our spiritual disharmony is caused by our own self contempt. We magnify our failings. We mull over our mistakes and shortcomings again and again. We compare ourselves to an impossible ideal and then hate ourselves when we fail to measure up. Forgive yourself. Let it go. There is so much that is good in you and tomorrow brings a new opportunity to achieve your dreams.
4. Be Loving. When you have been compassionate, kind and forgiving you will sense a flood of a unique form of love. Love of all. It will well up within you and influence your every action. It will baffle and confuse others. People who would confront you, engage you in argument or dispute and who would transmit their own anger to you will be astounded when they see that you are unruffled. They will not know what to do. Your calm and peace will affect them.
5. Be Accepting: You are not in control of the universe. Stop taking everything so personally. It is not all about you. Be humble before the majesty of the universe knowing that it is you and you are it. Things are often not going to go your way. You may be treated unfairly by others, or be the target of hatred or cruelty. You are not going to get everything you want. Accept this. Move on.
These five principles form the foundation of just about every major religion and philosophical system which emerged in that incredible span of years called The Axial Age when Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Classic Greek Philosophy and Christianity all flowered in the same time period. Why? Simple, it is because they are universal and when put into active practice in our daily lives they work. Practice of these principles will garb you in a suit of spiritual armor. Even in the midst of chaos and in the face of evil your heart will be unsullied, calm and serene.
๑ Samsaran ๑
I think I just found my favorite Bible quote ever, ready?
Proverbs 14:15 The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going.
It’s funny, because a book telling you to blindly believe everything in it is calling you stupid for blindly believing things.
Get it?? Get it????
Ok I’m just really pleased with myself for finding this also I have no idea if that’s how you’re supposed to write Bible quotes but I just copied and pasted from the internet so