Your Guide to Literary Tumblrs
From The Millions
- Awesome People Reading: Where to see what famous people read.
- Cover Spy: Where to see what MTA passengers read.
- Lisa Simpson Book Club: Where to see what Lisa Simpson reads.
- Bookshelf Porn: The SFW (despite its title) spot to ogle bookshelves.
- Slaughterhouse 90210: The middle of the television/literature Venn diagram.
- The Art of Google Books: Who’s scanning those books? Whose hand is that?
- The Final Sentence: An effort to spoil every book’s ending.
- Better Book Titles: Where spoilers and humor coexist.
- n+personals: As Malcolm Harris put it, the apex of The New Sincerity.
- Ransom Book Quotes: Title supposedly wasn’t meant to be “random.” Sure.
- Writers No One Reads: Neglected authors and philosophers.
- (un)justly (un)read: Same as above, but perhaps even more obscure.
- 50 Watts: Book design from around the world and across the ages.
- The Books They Gave Me: The intimate details of books gifted by exes.
- The Collected Blurbs of Gary Shteyngart: The man gets around, doesn’t he?
- Poor Yorick Entertainment: Now-defunct, but a must-see for all fantods.
- Lady Journos!: Highlights the best female journalists and their work.
- The Los Angeles Review of Books: Rapidly increasing L.A.’s literary cachet.
- The New Inquiry: The Times can look down its nose all it wants. Who cares?
- The Boston Review: Loose updates from the Boston non-profit.
- Housing Works Bookstore Café: Dispatches from a great cause.
- New York Public Library: The epicenter of literary Manhattan. (& its events)
- McNally Jackson: One of New York City’s favorite bookshops.
- WORD Brooklyn: One of New York City’s favorite bookshops across the river.
- 57th Street Books: One of Chicago’s favorite bookshops.
- Tattered Cover: One of Denver’s favorite bookshops.
- Powell’s: One of Portland’s favorite bookshops.
- PEN American Center: Great quotations from the PEN folks.
- 92nd Street Y: One of New York’s best curators of cultural entertainment.
- Proustitute: A highbrow, poetry-heavy mental treat.
- Dostoesvky: All things Fyodor.
- Russkaya Literatura: All things Fyodor, Lev, Anton, Mikhail, etc…
- F*ck Yeah Manuscripts: Like LettersOfNote, but exclusively authors.
- John Jeremiah Sullivan: Dispatches from the essayist’s book tour.
5. Publishers (Big Six) — Bear in mind: most of these lean pretty heavily
towards being just marketing tools.
- A. A. Knopf: The intersection of books and borzoi.
- Harper Perennial: The most exciting Big Six imprint in the game right now.
- Farrar, Straus & Giroux: Welcome aboard, newcomers! Way to get off on the right foot.
- Scribner: Bookish miscellany from the Simon & Schuster imprint.
- Doubleday: One of the more stereotypically Tumblr-like publishing Tumblrs.
- Vintage & Anchor: Great stuff from Random House’s paperback wizards.
- Pantheon Books: Image-heavy in a great way.
- Classic Penguin: It’s about time the Penguin folks joined the Tumblr crowd.
- Viking Penguin: Updates from the Viking & Penguin publicity team.
- Riverhead Books: Penguin’s got the most imprints on Tumblr, bar-none.
6. Publishers (Littler Guys)
- W. W. Norton & Co.: Plus ten points for their GZA post.
- NYRB Classics: The inimitable publisher of overlooked classics.
- Fantagraphics: The premier publishers of alternative comics in the U.S.
- New Directions: Come back, guys! You were great while you lasted.
- OR Books: Small, politically-minded indie publisher.
- Ugly Duckling Presse: Photos from one of the best book designers in the U.S.
- Bloomsbury Publishing: The U.S. office of London’s reputable house.
- Verso Books: Very #OWS-heavy of late.
- Nouvella Books: The most Downton Abbey-obsessed publishers around.
- Longreads: Looking for something to read? Not anymore.
- Hobart Pulp: They came here to drink bourbon and publish stories.
- BOMB Magazine: The best of the BOMBsite.
- The Missouri Review: Multimedia posts from the underrated journal.
- Lapham’s Quarterly: Witty and smart, and with a great design to boot.
- The Atlantic: A steady stream of interesting links.
- Utne Reader: Good stuff from the Minneapolis (and soon Topeka) institution.
- The Believer: Special features from the monthly magazine.
- Specter: Not to be confused with the James Bond villains.
- The Atavist: More people should know about these folks!
8. Wish List
- The Paris Review: They’re on Tumblr, but they never post Tumblr-specific content. Dive all the way in, Parisians. You can do better.
- More authors!: With so many on Twitter, it’s only a matter of time.
- Books & Books: South Florida’s best indie deserves more attention.
- The Oxford American: The South is underrepresented on the platform.
- Poetry Magazine: Poems just beg for reblogs.
- Book Soup: The L.A. shop would be a nice complement to NYC’s dominance.
- Vroman’s: They’re there, but they haven’t updated since 2010.
- The Strand: The New York City icon is sorely missed on Tumblr.
- Picador: Perhaps the Flatiron folks are on their way soon.
This list, of course, is by nature incomplete. I am sure I’ve missed a ton of standouts. Please feel free to let me know which ones I’ve overlooked in the comments!
BLOGS OF THE YEAR WINNERS
Awesome entries, here are the winners! I found each of these blogs to be interesting, unique, and wonderful. Each made me want to reblog everything so I think you will all be impressed. Please check them out and support them!
Puffcakes' Best Blogs of 2011
Here are the best blogs of 2011. You should follow these people. They are the most amazing people here in tumblr, I say. And don’t dare hurt them, especially those 19 blogs featured above. Because I’ll defend them and knock you off your chair. I know I may seem not to have any right to defend them but i do. They’re my friends and I love them. :)
AMAZING EDITORS/KOALA TEA BLOGS
exclusion boakwonstrictor colorscandy taemin nanataemin lovepaints byo-shin tiffanytiamo pearlsky hityourheart perved vtension geniecity vanillatinks spielsified heartbreakn fuckyeahthebestsnsdblog icelemontae jennytaetae kreckly suungyeol mocheenim yellybeans loverholix foryourwish stylesi beautifulgeneration la-rosa-del-sur taenysic yultisic ihazsupahpowah 19920313 fqzpocky snsd9wishes wtfblooda inelasticollision dearests tingarliclove amillionsparks emsys happysooyoung fucknyah sunqmin tiff-alya faten-goo bitnaeuns kyuhyuns onesweetdelightlater jyginthecube seouladies getittoxic devastatic omegafu lattelips noogieboogie yulbutt hurancy mattfong gwimin stephohwang jinuah myblackdictator onetrue913 coldnoodles itnw yoonsicislove kwonyurispazz novemberjewel gayo whimsicalchild sowons jingalingg jaesus-kryst
minjungs youbetterpaintit9 bluechocolate- beyondtvxq holyshisus bialogy bananamilk118 myhaero partylikeitsgoingout radiantdawn rattllesnsd heartlovegame visualdreams- datsupaluv lightsagainstdarkness sunkyus taebait bac0nfarm zzzzzwhtvr yeon sunyeon hyoderellas jetism jessimakesmegay ninearequation
If I forgot a blog or so… eh hehe sorry. I’m old and forgetful :/ But you know in your heart that I love you, okay? :3
best blogs you follow?
This is seriously in NO order, don’t get offended. I really tried to name everyone off the top of my head and tumblr crushes and from who i talk to in my inbox and my likes. Seriously, if I didn’t mention you, I’m sooooo sorry, I tried to do this as fast as I could, this is really in no order. I love all of your blogs and you people.