Fruit and Veggie Month: Veggie of the Day
Remarkably nutritious, baby spinach imparts a subtle but strong taste to a variety of dishes. It is especially delectable in a salad, garnished with citrus fruits and strong flavors such as garlic, shallot or onion.
A natural elegance… Baby spinach is oval in shape and of a beautiful dark green color.
Good for you… Baby spinach is particularly high in antioxidants such as ferulic acid, that helps to prevent some cancers, and lutein and zeaxanthin, that both help to protect eyes against macular degeneration and cataracts. Baby spinach also contains a great deal of betacyanin (192 mg for 1 cup of raw spinach and 613 mg for ½ cup of cooked baby spinach), a chemical compound that decreases the risks of cardiovascular disease. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (good source when raw), folate (good source when raw), manganese (good source when raw), iron (cooked only) and magnesium (cooked only). As you can see, this incredible vegetable is a true health food you cannot go without.
Nutrition FactsServing Size 2 cups (81.1 g)Amount Per ServingCalories 25Calories from Fat 0% Daily Value*Total Fat 0.0g0%Saturated Fat 0.0g0%Trans Fat 0.0gCholesterol 0mg0%Sodium 65mg3%Total Carbohydrates 2.0g1%Dietary Fiber 1.0g4%Protein 3.0gVitamin A 80%•Vitamin C 20%Calcium 6%•Iron 6%* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Just made a home made styled burrito for lunch, it was quite nice :) It consisted or chicken, brown rice, baby spinach, tomato, some feta and I used a little bit of mayo. It was really yummy. I think I am going to give my workout a miss today, we went out last night and the city + high heels can be destructive. My right knee is so sore :( I was hoping it would feel better this morning.