Pink Hair FAQ
What dye do you use?
- Special Effects Atomic Pink. Currently I dilute it with conditioner to make it more of a baby pink instead of a hot pink.
- I’ve also used Punky, Pravana, Manic Panic
Where can I get said dyes?
- Special Effects can be found only online, or if you live in the Chicago area you can go to The Alley on Belmont on the North side of Chicago
- Punky can be found at Ulta or online. Hot Topic might still sell it.
- Manic Panic is at Hot Topic, Sally’s, possibly Ulta.
- Pravana can only be bought by licensed cosmetologists or cosmetology students (like me) but I buy mine at Salon Centric
What is the best dye to use on my hair? How long does it last for?
- I have gone over 3 months without having to touch up my Special Effects Atomic Pink. It’s currently what I have been using the past 3 years on my hair. This is easily my favorite pink dye. It is really hard to take out of your hair, however. This is with washing my hair in hot water every single day as well.
- Punky lasted me about a month. I would also recommend this if you are looking for a vibrant color, and one that is easy to take out of the hair. This was washing my in cold water every other day.
- Manic Panic lasted me 2 weeks. I will never use their products again. The color was vibrant for a few days and then faded out very quickly. Washed my hair in cold water every other day.
- Pravana lasted me easily over a month I would say. The color is very vibrant and doesnt start fading till a few weeks later. Washing my hair every day in luke warm water.
How do you do your hair? How long does it take?
This question has always kind of confused me, especially the “how long does it take” but here goes.
- NOTE: I only bleach my new growth (roots) ! You will seriously destroy your hair if you put bleach on already pre-lightened hair! Do not attempt to bleach your hair unless you completely know what you are doing. If you don’t, honestly save yourself the trouble and go to a salon, or at least a cosmetology school!
- I lighten my hair with Redken Up to 7 bleach (can only be purchased by licensed cosmetologists or cos students) with Redken 30vol “Pro-Oxide” but any 30vol creme developer usually is fine. To get it as vibrant as it is, my hair has to be lightened to between a level 10 and 12. I then tone my hair with Wella’s White Lady (T18 I believe) Color Charm permanent toner. I leave that on until my roots are practically white. Then I put the pink color on and leave it on for at least an hour. Sometimes I sleep with it in for maximum vibrancy and hold!
- As far as how long it takes, it honestly depends. Bleaching takes me about a half hour to apply, and then I wait about 35-40 minutes TOPS for my hair to process to a platinum blonde. Wash hair. I then tone my hair which takes me about 10 minutes to apply, and then I wait 15 minutes for it to process. Wash hair. Then I apply the pink color which probably takes around 35 minutes or so and then I wait at least an hour before I wash it out. Viola!
How long have you had pink hair for?
- My hair has been pink for over 3 years. I’ve had other colors in it as well, but it has consistently been pink for awhile.
What products do you use on your hair to keep it healthy?
- I use pretty much all Redken products. Mostly everything from their Extreme line I use (blue bottles). Also some stuff from their Color Extend line (red bottles). Oh, and for hair spray I use Big Sexy Hair Extreme Hold. It says “All Nighter” on it I think.
Why did you dye your hair pink? What do your parents say?
- Honestly, I just really, really love the color pink. And it’s fun!
- My parents don’t really care what I do with my hair. They know I like it, and they actually like it too. It took time for them to get used to, but I’ve been doing stuff like this to my hair since I was 14. I’m now 21 so they don’t really have a whole lot of say in what I do anyways.
If anyone has other questions about my hair, or just hair in general, please feel to ask me. I am currently in school for hair, skin, nails, and beauty so I do know what I am talking about. Note that I am still a student, so I may not be 100% accurate, but I can tell you that I probably know more than the average person.
I will add more questions on here if anyone asks something I didn’t include.