Follow posts tagged #asshat, #just, and #chris pine in seconds.Sign up
Goodreads Reviewers Attacked by Authors
…for their opinions and reviews over both twitter and GR. While they are not “personal” attacks, it seems that some authors have come together and decided FUCK Goodreads, it’s worse than 4chan. Really?
Are authors that immature and sensitive to personal readers’ opinions that they couldn’t even keep their snide asshole-ishness under the rug? I know sometimes I can write a very harsh book review, but that normally doesn’t change ANYONE’s opinion about a book. They should read it anyway, if they want to. Even if I didn’t like the book, I probably would have nothing personal against the author and read them again. But the problem is, now that I know some authors have their heads SO far up their asses, I can’t even read their books without a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, forget the fucking Chemical Garden trilogy. It wasn’t worth my time and money anyway.
And this all began because some assholes don’t like people actually reading and reviewing their books with opinions. Were the opinions too snide? Too much “venom”? Too much passion about literature?
I have to hand it to Julie Cross (much of the Twitter-bullying began due to a comment on a Tempest review), though. She’s handled this like a champ, realizing the review was not a PERSONAL attack at all. Even though her agent seems like a dickhead.
I am really ashamed that authors would shoot down and wave off the sense of community and opinion sharing of GR. Especially since it’s made my job a lot easier (to find things and be informed about certain books). What irks me more is that instead of the regular trolls and haters you normally get within all forums, it’s authors themselves. Authors with money and all that, of course. Egotistical, cocky, and feeling rather self-important. They’re not as big of a deal as they think they are (especially because I only heard of them THROUGH GR). The only reason we notice them now is because they are sad fucking losers that resort to bullying and littering twitter with pathetic jabs that have no backing.
I think I’m mostly angry because it’s like GR has been tainted by authors that think they’re too good for their readers. If I were an author, even the most negative of comments would mean someone took time and energy on my work. They thought about it and cared enough about literature and the book itself to have an opinion. :|
Here are some collected comments that fellow reviewers (that are not being paid) may appreciate:
Explaining Periods To Men
- Cousin Jared: I don't understand why women complain so much about their period.
- Me: What.
- Jared: I mean, it only happens once a month, right? For a couple of days? That's not a big deal.
- Me: What.
- Jared: You guys should just, like, get over it or something, seriously!
- Me: Shut the fuck up, you asshat.
- Me: Let me explain it in a way you'll understand, since you lack ovaries and a uterus.
- Me: If men had periods, this is what would happen...
- Me: The soft tissues and meat that have grown in your testicles to protect your sperm, will begin to rot.
- Me: It would then proceed to leak uncontrollably from your penis.
- Me: Sometimes, there will be chunks of decomposing meat.
- Me: Several other things are directly caused by this happening.
- Me: You could get nasty cramps that would center around your groin and testicles, that sometimes vary from "Mosquito-Bite Annoying" to "Oh My Fucking God Kill Me Now". Some times, they can even be so painful, you'll pass out.
- Me: You may also become bloated, and therefore be uncomfortable and unhappy.
- Me: There will be a smell, sometimes it's really strong, because, essencially, you're rotting inside and spilling out like some freaky zombie movie of doom.
- Me: Your hormones will be fucked up. Due to men's hormones being based largely on testosterone, you'll probably get very violent and easily angered. You may also cry for random reasons that don't make sense at all.
- Me: Other symptoms may occur, but those are based on your body and depend on certain factors.
- Me: Now, this all happens, once or twice a month, depending, and lasts anywhere from four to ten days.
- Me: And this all STARTS, typically, by the time you're thirteen if you don't have some hormone imbalance.
- Me: Mine started at Ten.
- Me: Still think you could just "Get Over It"?
- Jared: ...
- Jared: I'm going to be sick. (Walks Away)
- Me: That's what I thought.
"a lot of people are obese because of genetics"
Posts the person who did call him out. That is true. Ask my family, it is true.
A lot of people gain weight because of medication.
A lot of people gain weight because of emotional reasons.
A lot of people gain weight because they are living in poverty and only have access to fast food.
A lot of people gain weight because they eat take out.
A lot of people gain weight because they suffer from eating disorders.
A lot of people gain weight because our food is produced in factories not farms.
A lot of people, roughly 2/3’s of Americans gain weight because….
No one reason is valid or more ok, or more socially acceptable to be obese when you end up someone’s visual punch line on Facebook.
And do you know whose business it is why that woman is heavy? None of fucking yours.