Upgrading XBMC from Eden to Frodo w/ Shared Database
I went ahead and upgraded my two XBMC players to Frodo over the course of the last few days and just wanted to share my thoughts with you. I’ll give you the step by step I did.
Backup & Reload
- Back up my existing library using the Settings -> Video -> Export options, then I the backup off using WinSCP
- Backed up my ~/xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml file
- Make a bootable USB stick with XBMCbuntu using Unetbootin and installed it on the first device
- Check to make sure the software works after installation and does not freeze
- Added sources to XBMC but did not scan anything to the library
- Copy advancedsettings.xml, and the backup files back to the first device
I rebooted and then tried to restore the library using Settings -> Video -> Import, but it was not working. I had a weird issue where anything I set, including sources was not sticking. I would configure a source, but then it disappeared afterward.
After some poking around I found errors in the XBMC log files in ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log that referenced errors with my database. At this point in time I decided I did not really mind starting over, since the import of the library should recover almost everything that was in my database anyways.
Removed the Old Eden Databases:
- On the Mysql server, I removed the “skip-name-resolve” option from the my.ini file, and restarted the mysql service
- Logged in with the root account and dropped all XBMC or music/movie databases using the “drop database <db name>;” command
- Added the “skip-name-resolve” back to the my.ini file and restarted the service again
Import the library:
- Rebooted XBMC to have it recreate the databases on the mysql server that was referenced in the advancedsettings.xml file
- Add sources to my NAS again using the Video -> Files menu
- Import the library again via the settings menu
At this point in time the library import actually started working and XBMC started parsing the backup I copied back over. During the library import, you will actually get a progress bar and XBMC will tell you which items it is importing. If you do not get this progress bar, the import is not working correctly.
- Checked Movies and TV Shows to make sure everything was there, and updated the database one more time.
- Rebooted XBMC to make sure the settings stuck, which they did
Prepare Thumbnails for Sync:
I sync all my artwork and thumbnails via dropbox so that I do not get different artwork on one media player compared to the other. I went ahead and deleted everything I had still in my dropbox folder and reinstalled dropbox on the first device using the Linux text based installer for dropbox (link here). I then linked the Thumbnails folder into my dropbox folder (see my original article here), and let it sync.
On the second device I repeated much of this. I reloaded the device, set up the sources (*IMPORTANT*) and copied the advancedsettings.xml file over. It is important to have the sources configured, otherwise XBMC may start removing items from your library because it does not have the right usernames/passwords to the location where the files are stored, and it will remove them because it thinks the items are no longer available. I then set up dropbox on the second device and waited for everything to sync, rebooting after just to make sure XBMC was still functioning.
Finally I installed the new version of Aeon Nox on both units and configured the skin how I liked it. I’ve done some more tweaking since then and I am excited to say that Frodo seems to run just as well as Eden did, and that I have not had any problems or crashes since upgrading.
If you have any questions, or problems with your upgrade, let me know and I’ll try to help!