L’Enfant Plaza Metro station fire/smoke
- One dead, two in critical condition, with many others taken to hospitals.
- L’Enfant Plaza Metro station was evacuated and closed for smoke.
- Service is suspended near L’Enfant on the Yellow and Green Lines.
- Orange, Blue and Silver line trains are bypassing L’Enfant.
- Train passengers were evacuated from a train in a tunnel.
Updated 6:47 p.m.
Metro General Manager Richard Sarles said one of the passengers injured the tunnel incident has died. The woman has not been identified pending notification of next of kin, he said.
In addition, Sarles said two people were in critical condition at George Washington Hospital; 40 were transported by bus to Howard University Hospital, and another 20 to 25 people were taken to Washington Hospital Center.
Sarles said that since the incident involved a fatality, the Metropolitan Police Department would now be involved in the investigation.
WMATA still doesnt understand what accountability is. Metro continues to get worse every year. I hope the family of the woman that passrd away sues the hell out of Metro