Five things we're bringing with us to #NAHBS
This year will be our first year as bonafide exhibitors at the National Handmade Bicycle Show, though we’ve been long-time fans and lurkers.
We’ll be over at booth #406, along with a few things you’ll want to check out, including:
1. The all-new Cliffhanger: this is the show-stealer, and NAHBS is it’s natural environment. The original Cliffhanger, designed mostly as a mountain bike rim, gradually found it’s niche in the adventure-touring market — something we never saw coming. It saw countless countries and performed reliably, but was truthfully never designed as a touring rim.
The recent crop of adventure-touring bikes from companies like Salsa, Firefly, Jones, Surly, and many others got us thinking: what would a rim, specifically designed for adventure-touring applications, look like?
Enter the 2015 Cliffhanger. It’s wider, stronger, tubeless-ready (though works just as well with a tube) and rim brake or disc brake compatible.
2. Knowledge: and we’d like to share it with you. Matt, our General Manager, will be presenting How Aluminum Rims Have Evolved in the Era of Carbon Fiber. The advances in both computer assisted design and engineering, along with advances in the aluminum extrusion process have allowed us to go a long way beyond the the basic box section rim of 20 years ago. Since we rolled our first rim, we’ve been using unconventional shapes to create stronger, higher performance rims, but now we’re able model and test our designs in ways never possible before, and the result is readily evident in models like the Blunt SS and Cliffhanger, among others.
3. American Pride: we manufacture our rims in Jacksonville, Fla. and The Wheel Department builds our wheels in Grand Rapids, Mich. We use all US-made aluminum extrusion. Even our bottle cages and Veloplugs are made right in Grand Rapids. Heck, we don’t make our Velotape, but the guys that do are just down the road from us. You don’t have to look far to find capable, competent suppliers and manufacturers in the US. Stop by the booth and see how we make our rims and build our wheels on our video display, or at your leisure on our Vimeo channel.
4. Industry Nine hubs: speaking of American Pride, we’re excited to offer a premium US-made hub option to pair with our rims for 2015. Industry Nine has a long reputation as a leader in high-end bicycle hubs, and for 2015 we’ll be bringing in options for mountain, road and fat bikes.
5. A photographer: we’re bringing our own Austin Russell to wander the show with his camera looking for the latest and greatest, and Velocity rim sightings in the wild. We’re also eager to see your pictures of our products, so we’ll be hosting an Instagram contest during the show giving you a chance to show off the Velocity products you spot along the way. Be on the lookout for this guy: