At least 42 children killed in government air strikes and shelling across Syria, says British-based NGO.
By Arutz Sheva Staff: First Publish: 9/1/2014, 5:43 AM
At least 42 children have been killed in government air strikes and shelling across Syria in the last 36 hours, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said Sunday, according to AFP.
The Britain-based Observatory said 25 children had been killed between midnight on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, with 17 more killed between Friday and Saturday night.
The deaths came in regime shelling and airstrikes across the country, though most took place in the northern province of Aleppo and northwestern Idlib, Observatory director Rami Abdul Rahman told AFP.
Many of the deaths came in raids involving the use of explosive-packedbarrel-bombs, a weapon that has been criticized by rights groups as indiscriminate.
Among the dead on Sunday were at least five children killed along with five adults in a barrel bomb attack on the town of Hobait in Idlib province, said the monitor.
In northern Aleppo province, another five children and three adults were killed in an air raid in the west of the province, according to AFP.
In the capital Damascus, meanwhile, regime planes continued to pound the eastern rebel-held district of Jubar, where the government began a fierce offensive earlier this week to wrest back control.
The Observatory said at least 15 air raids hit the district on Sunday, but there were no immediate details about casualties.
Jubar has been in insurgent hands for a year, and is considered strategic because it provides a gateway to the center of the capital and opens onto the key rebel stronghold of Eastern Ghouta.
While there has been much focus on the Islamic State (IS) and its actions in Syria and Iraq, the civil war between President Bashar Al-Assad’s forces and rebels trying to overthrow still continues.
More than 191,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict began there in March 2011, the UN says.
Two weeks ago, outgoing UN human rights commissioner Navi Pillay condemned the UN Security Council for failing in Syria.
"I firmly believe that greater responsiveness by this council would have saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Pillay told the council in the final briefing of her six-year term.
Syria’s civil war has “dropped off the international radar,” lamented Pillay, noting “the killers, destroyers and torturers in Syria have been empowered and emboldened by the international paralysis.”