Some days ago I noticed a brilliant bumper sticker, saying "I ♥ topology" where the heart was replaced by a topologically homeomorphic disk (●). Amused by the idea, I tried to work out some related versions for other mathematical subjects. Here they are:
- For geometry, the obvious choice was a cardioid:
- I’m thinking of changing “Algebra” into “Arithmetic” here:
- A connect-the-dots heart for graph theory:
- Perhaps fractals aren’t really a mathematical subject on their own, but nevertheless they are too popular:
- Too bad a heart shape doesn’t have that many symmetries:
- This one is difficult categorizing! It’s related to Frobenius algebras, module and representation theory, topological quantum field theory… Which mathematical subject should it represent?
- A knotted heart for knot theory:
- I like this one, the Lorenz attractor for chaos theory:
- The heart-shaped Bonne projection:
- I hope you recognize a Venn diagram here:
- Hmmm, statistics, a pie chart?
- Finally, this is the one it all started with:
What do you guys think? I’m still thinking about a heart for genuine algebra, linear algebra, number theory, combinatorics and mathematical logic. Please share any remarks, ideas, subjects?