I have to admit… December is definitely one of my favourite months. Christmas lights are on, shopping is in full swing and of course, endless recipes to try and dinner parties to organise. Therefore I’m launching December with this new recipe I’ve tried and tested - the Jam Heart Biscuits, adopted from The Pretty Blog (www.theprettyblog.com).
The texture of these biscuits is flaky and soft, slightly buttery but not as heavy as butter biscuits. It is a very easy dough to make and the trick is not to overcook the thin biscuits. Mine came in three flavours: Strawberry, Orange and of course Nutella.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 250g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 625g all-purpose flour
- 12.5g baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Strawberry Jam/ Nutella or any other preferred spread
1. Using an electric mixer, blend together sugar and butter, until pale, for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Sieve the mixture and incorporate with the rest of the ingredients in the electrical mixer until a dough is formed.
3. Leave the dough to rest for about an hour into the fridge.
4. Once the dough has chilled, roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Do not worry if it starts to crumble, add some flour and work it in gently. Cut out round biscuits using a cookie cutter and using a heart/ flower stamp, make the central opening in half of the biscuits.
5. Bake into a preheated oven at 180*C for about 10-12min, or until slightly brown. Leave to cool to room temperature before coating the whole rounds with jam and pressing the heart cut out biscuit on top.
6. If desired, dust the biscuits with icing sugar.