Well… I’ll be honest my knowledge of medieval combat is not the best, since I only know that swords were not effective at piercing plate armour of any sort, and warhammers, picks and maces are better against armour. Although carrying a longsword didn’t hurt.
Although (and I assume that societal rank and time period is of no importance here), if I were fighting in a loadout of my choice, I’d probably go for:
- Brigandine to protect the chest and maille underneath.
- A simple set of armour (pauldron, rerebrace, couter, vambrace and gauntlets) for the arms and hands, gorget with besagews for the neck and armpits.
- A sallet style helmet for the head and a bevor.
- Greaves and cuisses for the legs.
- And for weapons, either a polearm, or a longsword with a shield.
I probably cocked that up somehow in some way, but what the hey.