GREEN SMOOTHIE FACTS, TIPS, ADVICE & BENEFITS
Hey Loves! :)
May 1st is quickly approaching so I’ve been doing a lot of research about some Green Smoothie information that might come in handy for anyone who wants to join in on the challenge with me.
It would be awesome if you guys tagged along on this journey to health and wellbeing and share your experiences with everyone. Remember, every experience you go through could be valuable to someone else just by sharing it with them.
So here is some of the information that I’ve been able to gather because of personal questions that I’ve been trying to find answers to and I figure we are all alike, so the information I post below could make your journey that much easier.
All this information was gathered from around fifteen different Green Smoothie themed sites and I’m so grateful that I came across all of them because they all lent me loads of useful information that I want to share with you all.
So first off, here are some Green Smoothie Facts:
- Green Smoothies are made from a mixture of fresh fruits and raw green leafy vegetables blended together into a thick & smooth liquid.
- They are great for people who lack greens in their diets, i.e. people who have a harder time consuming them in their leafy form.
- They are quick to prepare, super healthy for you and very easy to drink. They are also a great way to add more greens into your diet and they taste lovely.
- Green Smoothies improve your health and aids with weight loss or weight management. It is something that can easily turn into a healthy habit (something your day will become incomplete without.)
- Green smoothies have the power to heal, they can sustain you throughout your day and they provide nutrients that are very essential to your health.
- They reduce cravings for unhealthy foods and they increase your energy levels.
- They are clean and very eco friendly.
- The possibilities of what you can put into your Green Smoothie are endless but and ideal ratio to start with would be: 60% fresh fruit + 40% raw leafy greens. You can plan around with the ratios once your digestive system has gotten more acquainted with eating raw. :)
Here is a list of the Best Greens to try for your Smoothies:
- Any type of Lettuce
- Basil / Parsley / Cilantro & other herbs you like
- Bok Choy
Others you might want to try:
- Beet Tops
- Strawberry Leaves
- Celery Leaves
- Kang-kong Leaves (my most recent discovery hehe)
- Malunggay Leaves
Best Fruits to put into your Green Smoothies:
Note: ** It is always best to use fresh, local fruits in season. **
*** By best I mean that they contain more soluble fibre for easier blending and they make the smoothies turn out creamier, sweeter and it masks the taste of the greens better. ***
- Fresh Peaches
- Strawberries & other Berries
- Grapes w/ their seeds (yes, w/ their seeds! Lots of nutrients in them! )
High Protein Foods you can add to your Green Smoothies:
- Sprouted Seeds or Beans
Order in which you should add Ingredients to your Blender:
- Add-ons / Boosters
Note: ** You can blend for up to 5-10 minutes or until you’ve achieved your desired consistency and before the liquid becomes warm. **
Green Smoothie Tips & Advice:
- It is best to consume your Green Smoothie on an empty stomach or after consuming fruit only.
- Fruits & Vegetables oxidize when they are blended and broken down so basically they start to lose a lot of their nutrition so it’s best to consume your smoothie as soon as you can or right after blending.
- Studies have shown that the body absorbs the Calcium from greens a lot more easily than from cow’s milk.
- Fresh Fruits and Greens are the best source of Fibre and Green Smoothies first thing in the morning will help with do wonders for your digestion.
- The benefit of Green Smoothies over Juicing is that the food is in its whole form including fibre from the pulp, skin, etc. which is absolutely essential and beneficial for the health.
- It’s good to drink at least one Green Smoothie everyday. You will notice amazing changes in your health while finding yourself craving for less junk and looking for more healthy foods to eat.
- The best time to drink your Green Smoothie is in the morning because you have more of an empty stomach so it will digest faster, your body will absorb more of the nutrients & this will cause less digestive upset, if any.
- Your can drink your Green Smoothie at any time of the day. You can have it for Breakfast, for Lunch or for Dinner or you can drink it all throughout the day just make sure it is sealed well to keep fresh for longer.
- A great time to drink a Green Smoothie is right after a Workout or Exercise Regimen. It ill fuel your body up with water, the sodium in the greens and the nutrients & calories in the fruits.
- It is best not to consume anything 40 minutes before of 40 minutes after drinking your Green Smoothie to get the most nutritional benefits out of each.
- Don’t put too much into your smoothie. Mix just enough ingredients to maximize the nutritional benefits and to keep it easy on the digestive system.
- Rotate your greens so that you don’t accumulate the same type of alkaloids from consuming the same green over and over again.
- Choose organic and locally grown produce as often as possible because they do not contain pesticides or other toxic chemicals and they provide superior nutrition.
- Greens are full of Chlorophyll straight from the sun which is very cleansing for the blood and makes you smell nicer! :)
Starchy Vegetables Not to add to your Green Smoothies:
Note: ** These combine poorly with fruit and may cause gas. **
- Broccoli Stems
- Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans
Now, Here are the Benefits of Green Smoothies:
- They are extremely nutritious for you.
- They are easy to digest. Absorption starts in the mouth.
- "Consuming Chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.”
- Greatly reduces the amount of oils and salt from your diet.
- Helps you feel calm and peaceful because of the Chlorophyll that delivers oxygen to the cells and puts your body at a slightly alkaline state for optimal health and so cancer cells do not thrive.
- A Healthy Body = A Happy Body so they basically make you feel happy for no reason! :)
- You adopt a more positive outlook on life. Green Smoothies help you grow in capacity to handle things better because your body is now constructed with newer, better materials.
- Helps with getting rid of unnecessary addictions.
- Gives you beautiful, radiant and glowing skin.
- Gives you smoother bowels. (Thank goodness for this! )
- Energy, energy & more energy!!!
- Helps release unwanted weight, wastes & toxins from the body.
I hope you found some of this information helpful and I hope it motivates you to join me come May 1st! I can’t wait! :)
Love from here.
Lak’ech Ala K’in