Fuse: Maria Sherman (May 20, 2015)
Let’s start at the beginning, shall we? When considering music fandoms, the first groups that come to mind for us are the ones that veer young: Taylor Swift’s Swifties; Justin Bieber’s Beliebers; Beyoncé’s Beyhive. The Killers are the odd men out in this group but have one of the biggest and most active fan groups around. Why? That’s for you to decide, but the numbers don’t lie.
Who are the Victims?
Per Urban Dictionary:“The official fanclub of the US rock band "The Killers”. Fans that know every single song including demos, album tracks, b sides and Christmas songs, not just “Mr Brightside” or “Human."Will usually reject ‘Hot Fuss’ as the best album and say 'Sam’s Town’ is instead. Don’t just love them because of Brandon Flowers. Usually found on The Victims site, in Twitter communities or gigs. Usually noticiable by the official Victims shirt. Probably the most devoted group of fans…”
Why are they called Victims?
When you’re slayed by the Killers you’re made into a Victim. Too cutesy?
Where can I find them?
Where all fandoms lives, silly! Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr—the Victims are surprisingly active on Reddit, which could speak to the age of these super fans (they are typically significantly older than, say, Directioners or the 5SOSfam).
What’s the pilgrimage?
Like most fandoms, those who are most devoted often take musical pilgrimages to their favorite musician’s hometowns. For the Victims, that means heading to Las Vegas. Here are some must-see LV/Killers travel destinations:
- Sam’s Town Hotel & Gambling Hall: The guys named their second album after this place!
- Luv-It Frozen Custard: Brandon Flowers once famously said this is the best frozen custard in Las Vegas, so, I guess, if you want to get closer to the band, eat like them.
- Sushi Roku: Same as above. This is the home of Flowers’ favorite sushi.
- Hard Rock Hotel: Their “Bones” skeletons live here! A perfect photo op.
- Flamingo Hotel: Flowers named his first solo LP after the spot.
- Aladdin Hotel: All of the Killers worked here before making it big, peep their former place of employment! If you’re a fan, make sure to ask for the guy who once famously told Flowers “good luck with your '80s thing.” We’re positive he still works there.
- Gold Coast Hotel & Casino: Yet another hotel Flowers used to work in.
- The Peppermill: One of the guys’ favorite 24 hour spots! We’re told it’s hardly ever crowded, too.
For more, consult a real Victim! Click here.