syracuse-problem

Holy shit.

So, last night my friend wrote me a program in java to calculate hailstone sequences.  And it works.  I spent 4 hours this morning running the program while watching Avatar (which, by the way, is pretty cool.).  So I have the first 20 million hailstone sequences.  And then I exported the data to a txt file.  An hour ago.  And it’s still making the txt file.  And it’s already 2.14 GB.  And it’s only through 3.2 million sequences.  I am seriously stoked to find out how many pages the final total is.  But I think I might not find out until tomorrow morning.  It’s going to be awesome to figure out if I need to bring the data to my professor on a flash drive or an external harddrive.

Update 3.

So that previous estimation was way too optimistic.  The data was still exporting when I woke up this morning.  I let it run for a full 24 hours (from 4:08 pm yesterday to 4:08 pm today) and it was still not finished.  When I finally stopped exporting the txt file was 81.1 GB.  I couldn’t open it to see how many sequences had been written.  Needless to say, I will not be attempting that again without a significantly better system.