Quick and Easy Weeknight Dinner - Tofu Stir-fry
I haven’t been doing such a great job at planning meals this week so, last night, we found ourselves hungry with no idea what to make. Also, neither of wanted to venture out to the grocery store. So we began scouring our cookbooks, Pinterest recipes, and cupboards. I really wanted to make a chickpea stir-fry, but only had dried chickpeas, which I quickly found out have to be soaked overnight. Not so good for last minute weeknight dinners… Turns our we had all the ingredients for a delicious tofu stir-fry though!
4 Simple Ingredients:
- Trader Joe’s Soyaki Sauce (It’s vegan!)
- Sprouted Super-firm Tofu (Extra firm would work as well. I’m so glad I thought to buy tofu to keep on hand for occasions such as these!)
- Frozen Stir-fry Veggies
- Brown Jasmine Rice
- Cook rice according to directions.
- While rice is cooking, drain and press tofu, and cut into cubes (or strips, if you prefer).
- Marinate tofu cubes or strips in sauce of your choice.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, and place marinated tofu into heated skillet (I found that no oil was necessary).
- Cook tofu on each side until browned, adding additional sauce as necessary. (I added additional sauce about halfway through cooking, as tofu really soaks up sauce and this gave the tofu a nice, crispy, brown coating.)
- While tofu is cooking, heat another pan to medium heat and toss in veggies (frozen or fresh) with sauce. Cook until tender.
We must be getting better and better with creating our own dishes, because this one turned our great! If you are looking for a delicious Teriyaki sauce, I HIGHLY recommend Trader Joe’s Soyaki Sauce. It is vegan, but incredibly delicious whether your vegan or not.
Confession: The plated dish pictured isn’t what I ate, it’s what my boyfriend ate. My plate didn’t have any veggies on it. :( I promise, I’ll get better about eating my veggies! I did try a couple of his, and they were actually very good! I’m telling you, that Soyaki sauce works wonders!