- 6 ounces soba noodles
- 2 cups frozen organic edamame
- 10 ounces (about 3 cups) sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 6 medium-sized carrots, peeled
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (about 2 handfuls)
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons quality peanut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon white miso*
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- To prepare the vegetables: Use a chef’s knife to slice the peas in half
lengthwise (or just roughly chop them). Slice the carrots into long,
thin strips with a julienne peeler, or slice them into ribbons with a
- To make the sauce: whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl until emulsified. Set aside.
two big pots of water to a boil. In the meantime, toast the sesame
seeds: Pour the sesame seeds into a small pan. Toast for about 4 to 5
minutes over medium-low heat, shaking the pan frequently to prevent
burning, until the seeds are turning golden and starting to make popping
the pots of water are boiling: In one pot, cook the soba noodles just
until al dente, according to package directions (probably about 5
minutes), then drain and briefly rinse under cool water. Cook the frozen
edamame in the other pot until warmed through (about 4 to 6 minutes)
but before draining, toss the halved peas into the boiling edamame water
and cook for an additional 20 seconds. Drain.
the soba noodles, edamame, snap peas and carrots in a large serving
bowl. Pour in the dressing and toss with salad servers. Toss in the
chopped cilantro and toasted sesame seeds. Serve.
used Miso Master brand’s reduced-sodium sweet white miso. It’s in the
refrigerated section near the tofu. Omit if you can’t find it, but it
provides a nice boost of flavor.
Make it vegan: Sub agave nectar for the honey.
Make it gluten free:
Buy certified gluten-free, all buckwheat soba noodles and use tamari
instead of regular soy sauce. Make sure your miso is gluten free, if