POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Controller
LOCATION: New York, NY
ABOUT ACCION EAST
Accion East and Online empowers low- to moderate-income business owners through access to capital and financial education. Since opening our doors in 1991, we have provided over $140 million in capital to small business owners, creating or sustaining over 96,800 jobs within local communities. For more information, see www.accioneast.org.
MISSION OF CONTROLLER
To manage the yearly financial performance of the organization in-line with budgeted expectations, including cash management and access to lending capital as we increase lending volume by over 70% over next three years. In addition, Controller assists in improving customer satisfaction by ensuring timely and courteous fulfillment of loan-related transactions, inquiries and processing for new and existing clients. Controller reports to CEO and manages accounting department (3 people) and service center (3 people).
• Lead and manage relationship with Finance and Audit Committee of Board of Directors
• Deliver board approved budget by December of each year (one month prior to start of fiscal year)
• Deliver audited financial statements and tax returns by April and May after calendar year end, respectively
• Develop leadership of accounting and service teams by end of year one
• Generate monthly financial reports by 15th of each month for review by Leadership Team and/or members of the Board of Directors
• Increase client service capacity of existing accounting and service teams by 70% over next three years (from 1,550 to 2,600)
• Secure $4 million in new or renewed loan capital by end of year one
• Identify and realize organization-wide annual savings of 1% - 3% of total operating expenses
• Manage all insurance coverage for the organization and realize annual savings of 5% - 10%
• Manage software vendor relationship for loan portfolio and financial accounting systems
The core competencies required for this position include: attention to detail; clear and timely written and verbal communication; proactivity; organization, coordination and planning; analytical skills; proven ability to develop people; teamwork and ‘rolling up your sleeves’; persuasion; transparency; enthusiasm; and approachability.
In addition, the Controller is expected to reflect the organizational values of Accion East, including:
• Adaptability. We are innovators; we continually improve ourselves and our world. We take risks to do so;
• Dedication. We give 100% at all times. We are committed to Accion, our mission and our clients;
• Integrity. We earn trust by making promises-and keeping them;
• Empathy. We walk in others’ shoes. We know that true understanding must occur at an emotional and intellectual level;
• Inclusion. We create community. We value the contributions of every person; and
• Passion. We are proud about being Accionistas; we work to honor our values in everything we do.
• Over five (5) years of financial and non-profit management experience; preferably in high-volume transaction environments
• Experienced manager of departments with five (5) or more people
• Minimum BA in Accounting; CPA or MBA preferred
• Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred
• Salary of $90,000
• Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits; 401k plan
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT TO JOBS@ACCIONUSA.ORG
• Cover letter describing your experience with similar Outcomes to those we expect from our Controller