Superfoods for a super human
As a professional athlete and model, taking incredible care of my body is not an option. It’s important for me to always look my best and even more important to feel energized, happy and healthy! Life as a model and athlete often involves a hectic travel schedule, constantly changing climates, jet lag, little to no sleep and long days pushing my body to it’s limits. Taking special care of my diet has become my secret to thriving amidst the madness.
Superfoods have become an immensely important part of my recipe to feeling amazing no matter what life throws at me. These are my top 5 favorite superfoods and tips to easily incorporate them in to your diet.
1. SPIRULINA - is a blue green algae said to be one of the most complete superfoods on the planet. High in protein, Vit. B, alkalizing and detoxifying. A simple teaspoon mixed in to a few ounces of organic apple juice first thing in the morning is a great way to start the day. Or make a power greens salad dressing by combining avocado, lemon juice, salt and spiraling.
2. GOLDEN BERRIES - provide over 1,000% of your Vit. C intake in just a couple handfuls. I eat them as a snack, mix them in to oatmeal and trail mix or blend in to a smoothie.
3. MACA - I feel the effects of Maca almost immediately. Increased energy, stamina, stress relieving and hormone balancing. Maca is packed full of amino acids, vitamins and minerals. I like to mix it in to my smoothies or pancake batter in the mornings.
4. CACAO - One of the highest antioxidants on the planet! Energizing, mentally stimulating and produces happy hormones. Cacao is delicious and good for you. Try replacing coffee in the morning with hot cocoa made fresh raw cacao powder. My new favorite morning boost combines Cacao, Maca and Yerba Mate. Brew ½ C. of strong Yerba Mate, mix in 1 C. of hemp seed milk, 2 T. cacao powder and 1 T. Maca, sweeten to taste. The energy I get from this recipe is less jittery than coffee and lasts all day, give it a try!
5. GOJI BERRIES - Loaded with antioxidants, minerals, Vit. C and 15% protein. These little berries are bomb mixed in to oatmeal in the morning, cooked in to curries or soaked to put in to salads.
The best source for super foods I’ve found is Imlakesh Organics. All their products are organic and fair trade sourced directly from farmers in the Amazon, Peru and Himalayas.
Health is happiness!