this is an easy, pantry tomato soup i came up with. i’ve been eating a lot of packaged food lately and figured it might be best to actually make something for myself. craving grilled cheese and tomato soup with no money or soup to speak of, i realize pasta sauce and tomato soup essentially have the same ingredients and after a bit of googling, figured something out with what i had at home!
what you’ll need:
- a jar of any pasta sauce
- 2 cups of water
- a pat of butter (a tablespoon, maybe less)
- herbs to taste (fresh or dry. i used dried basil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- a creamy element. i used some creme fraiche from trader joe’s i had in the fridge for a bit that wasn’t going to keep for much longer but heavy cream can naturally be substituted. whole milk, sour cream, ricotta, maybe even parm are all things to can use to add a cream element as well or you can skip it altogether if you prefer!
- if you’re a fan of chunky soup, skip this step. for a smooth soup, dump the jar of pasta sauce into the blender with the 2 cups of water
- melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the herbs and sautee for a minute or so.
- add in the sauce/water mixture
- add a little sauce and pepper to taste while bringing to a boil.
- reduce to simmer on low after it’s reached a rolling boil, stirring frequently. at this point, you can simmer for however long you’d like. i tend to like letting it sit on low for a bit while i go read in my bedroom because i like the more concentrated taste but 5-10 minutes would be enough!
- whisk in your creamy element! in my case, creme fraiche.
- continue adding salt and pepper to taste (or don’t) until you feel like the dish is seasoned to your liking
- serve! if you’re me, you’ll accompany this with a grilled cheese and toss little pieces into the soup and eat them right out of there