As a developer I believe the moment we stop learning is the moment we should stop tapping on the keyboard. Learning new technologies keeps you ahead, but it does more than that - it keeps your passion alive.
So on this theme, here’s a little list of everything that I want to do within the next 6 months.
- Do something with a NoSQL database, whether that’s Mongo or Couch DB
- Dabble more in Node
- Use a JS framework like Backbone or Spine in a production site
- Do some SVG loveliness with Raphael JS
- Do some Canvas stuff - maybe
- Learn more RoR - i’ve scratched the surface so far.
I think it’s too easy for us to just stick to the tools we know and never push the boundaries. This is especially true in production sites - servers are setup for particular technologies and we never say “ah actually let’s do it in X new technology”. I think you’re really lucky as a developer if you get to use new technology and frameworks in anything other than your local testing. That said though, we should always be adding touches into projects, not for the client but for yourself.