Just because it seems teacup pigs are coming back and all I see is ~omg cute i want a pig now~, I think this seriously needs to be addressed:
"Teacup" pigs are produced by humans using incredibly cruel methods. The mothers are impregnated before they are fully grown, as babies themselves, in order to stunt the growth of the piglets. Mothers are underfed in order to produce runts (the "super cute" teacup pigs) - weak, fragile, malnourished and riddled with health problems.
When they are born, the piglets are only allowed to feed from their mothers for approximately 1 week (again, to deprive them of the nutrients and food they need to grow), they are taken from their mothers (in many of these “cute” videos you can clearly still see their umbilical cords) and in order to be kept small, are underfed for the rest of their typically short lives.
Common health problems for teacup pigs (and other teacup animals) are:
- Heart Deformities, often resulting in a short lifespan.
- Digestive system deformities (very common in teacup pigs).
- Liver deformities, known as shunts.
- Prone to Hypoglycemia.
- More at risk to head/brain injury as the soft spot on their skull may not harden correctly.
- More susceptible to illness and stress.
- Tend to have more fragile bones.
- More dental problems.
- Higher rate of Epilepsy.
- More prone to dehydration.
- Physical defect where the outside stops growing but the internal organs continue to
- Other deformities in offspring due to inbreeding often used to get such small animals.
And finally, to add insult to injury, many MANY of these pigs end up growing, despite the chances they have. Which means they are abandoned, surrendered, sold (sometimes into slaughter) and left homeless because people didn’t get the minuscule, permanent foetuses they signed up for.
So before you start with the “so cute” and “I want one” bullshit, actually think about the pigs and the disgusting way they’re manipulated, modified and abused by humans. It’s not all so cute and innocent now. So not are we now eating pigs (one of the most abused animals on the planet), we can now abuse and torture them in a different way and display them as cute accessories/must-have items. When will you people be satisfied with the amount of damage you have done and continue to support?