This week marks a major milestone in the journey of SORTEDfood.
For this week we become 1 million. 1,000,000. 1M.
That’s a ridiculous number. To put that in perspective, that’s more people than live in Barbados, Brunei and Iceland… Combined!! To put it another way, we could fill Wembley Stadium more than 11 times!!
As YouTube has grown, a million subscribers has become more common for creators to reach, but in the food world its’s a very rare beast with only a few channels ever climbing that high - I can only think of Rosanna Pansino, Laura Vitale and Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube.
We honestly can’t thank you enough for joining us on this journey, it’s been incredible so far and please believe us when we say that there is a hell of a load more exciting stuff to come… So stay tuned!
Now, one thing we probably don’t do enough is tell you why you’re so awesome and what makes our corner of the internet so special… So I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know a few of the things that you’ve done that deserve recognition:
1) SORTEDfood is the largest cooking conversation on YouTube - No other cooking channel attracts more comments, likes, shares, favourites etc per view as SORTED… That’s not us, that’s you and the conversations you’re having underneath our videos.
2) In the first 2 weeks of launching the SORTEDfood app/website in July, you uploaded more recipes than we have done in the last 4 years… Within a month you had doubled that number… This one left us all speechless - you have so much great food to share!
3) “The nicest place on YouTube” - this is something we hear on a regular basis from other YouTube creators… They can’t believe how friendly and helpful people are in the comments section of our videos… There’s no hate, there’s no arguing - people ask questions and get sensible answers… That’s so rare it’s unbelievable!! To take that a step further and start to comment/share/cook other people’s recipes on the SORTEDfood app/website is just phenomenal.
4) You cook, photograph & share - When we first started asking people 4 years ago to share photos of the food they were cooking, we knew it would be a bit of a long shot… you have to find the video, click through to the recipe, decide to cook it, go to the shops to buy the ingredients, come back home, cook the dish, photograph it, eat it, upload the pictures to the internet… I mean that’s a lot of effort!! HOWEVER, we now get thousands, yes THOUSANDS of images shared with us each week of food that you’ve been cooking - and the best thing? So many of these photos are of your own recipes as well as ours…
5) Some quick stats for you… In case you’re interested, in total you watch more than 5 million of our videos per month, if you added up the minutes of these videos together it equals 41.5 YEARS. In the last month. Or to put it another way, 12,000 hours per day of videos watched. WTF?! THAT’S MATHS I DON’T UNDERSTAND!!!
There’s so much more I want to say, but James is glaring at me and telling me this blog post is too long, so I’ll stop for now!!
(I’m just happy to get a blog post :) - James)
I’ll end by saying that we began this journey as 4 friends wanting to learn about food, we started a YouTube channel because we thought it would be fun… What’s happened in the last 4.5 years has changed our lives completely. We live, breathe, sleep and (obviously) eat SORTEDfood… And others are starting to do the same. We’ve added some more friends to the team, people like James and Lou, so there’s now actually 9 of us working on SORTED full time to help continue to push the boundaries of what’s possible from this incredible online cooking community.
Most of all, we’ve found a million new friends and together we are starting to make a difference to the way people look at, eat and share food online… And that may just be the coolest thing ever. My promise to you is that we will continue to do everything as transparently and honestly as we’ve done over the last few years and make sure you’re always the first to know what’s coming next.
But for now, thank you.
Next up, world (food) domination?
Written by Jamie, on behalf of the whole SORTED team xxx