Ok so I see many people are upset about what norman said but I for one have to say that I actually agree with him on so many points.
I mean let’s take a look!
(this is going to be a long trip)
1) ” I like our relationship how it is. We don’t have to make out to be who we are.”
Hell yeah I LOVE their relationship as it is now, because it is already on like a whole different level. First of all, what makes it’s so interesting for me to watch them is the fact that their bond is always changing and evolving.
These are the steps I tend to distinguish in their evolution:
- The “I like how this little mouse is smashing her dead abusive asshole-of-a-husband’s head with a big ass axe, not hiding her tears and anger, her feeble arms growing stronger with each landed blow” phase
- The "This frightening, rude and immature man-child somehow decided to make it his mission to bring Sophia back to me, so i will accept his awkward attempts to cheer me up, and i will make sure to show him my gratitude because i can see already that there is so much more to him and his story than he is accustomed to show and how much courage it took for him to open up just a little bit and i can’t let it go to waste, even through i’m breaking inside and i’m losing hope little by little with every passing second" phase
- The "I’ve failed this women just like i fucking failed everyone and everything in my goddamn shitty piece of life so screw this shit i’m outta here and don’t even come near me anymore how can you even look at me i don’t need your pity when i’ve been out there every day making a damn fool of myself bringing your stupid fuckin flowers and telling stupid stories when your daughter was already dead; you should hate me for this what else do need from me" and "yes maybe i was mad at you for bringing my hopes up and mad at myself for allowing myself to believe you so it’s totally okay for you to be mad too but what’s not okay is baring your very soul to me and then pretending there isn’t one. uh-uh not so fast boy" phases
- The "Omg this woman must be saint, puttin up with me and all my shit; I must never ever say another harsh word to her and if i do so I shall punch myself. I honestly don’t know how could you even see any good in me but you did, and now, girl, you just watch me socialising and being part of a group and providing the best squirrels in the universe and bonding with Rick and others and tryin to be like chill and composed all the time and I shit you not, you will not be disappointed" phase
- The third season’s "she’ll understand" and "when you’re gone I’m gonna act all tough for a while and then i’m gonna sit on the floor for hours in some kind catatonic state trying to find a courage to make myself face the loss of you" phase of mutual graditude, complete acceptance, honesty and ease they just don’t share with anybody else combined with “did this saint woman just fucking flirted with me ummm no who am I kidding who would flirt with me she’s joking right but is she tho? Is she laughing how do I do words what are words abort mission abortmission ok I’ll be totally cool and like snort or something like no big deal ok here we go” and "seriously this short moment of pure horror in his eyes was priceless I must do this more often like ten times a day maybe" phases
- The ”- You ok? - Gotta be” phase in which no one is actually fucking ok because "You took it upon yourself to make the hard decisions which you knew would crush your soul into million pieces but you did it anyway, because the people you love are so much more important to you than your own life, your mental health and your soul, and I, knowing this to be the primal aspect of your personality, still couldn’t see the cracks in your cheerful facade in time all because i was too busy being so fucking pleased with myself and now all is lost and i’m never gonna see nether you nor everybody else ever again so what’s the point of trying anymore"
- The "ok the joy of seeing you again was overwhelming and ok you’re cute; throwing that water jug at me was the smoothest move i’ve ever seen you make, not even kidding; but i’m not the same person anymore and our not-so-flirting and joking around seems to had happen many years ago in a different life and i don’t need this anymore; but something has changed in a way you talk with me and carry youself, and i feel that now it’s completely ok to allow myself to be impatient, and a little harsh, like you once was, to share with you my weaknesses and fears, like you once did, and little by little I remember us and i can’t handle how much you fear to lose me again and i’m starting to accept that i’m never going to get away from you" phase
- The "you have to let yourself feel it, and then you have to try to fit in, while i’ll be over here locking the pain i’m still not ready to share with you far far away; don’t worry about me, go make new friends" phase.
And just think about all the other possible phases they can go through in future seasons without even reaching the makeout phase. What else can they bring out in each other. How they can change each on their own.
They don’t need to be in a relationship to keep coming back to each other every time they drift apart. They don’t need to be in a relashionship to remain the most entertaining random pair of hot people on the whole television.
2) We’re kindred spirits; there’s a brother-sister bond there that’s almost stronger than a lovey-dovey bond.
Yeap. I mean what.
The true friendship is basically when you choose a certain human being and go “ok this asshat is like a brother/sister to me” but it means so much more because you don’t get to choose you blood family, and often it just sucks. But this particular asshole you get to choose yourself and this is what Carol and Daryl did — they chose each other. And their bond indeed is stronger than some lovey-dovey bond.
Well i for one think that it is stronger than a family bond because it is mutually choosen and not given by circumstances but that might be just my twisted view on family bonds in overall. This is the strongest bond of them all because it is driven neither by blood nor by physical desire.
I mean the desire may come in picture. And it may not. The bond is just not going anywhere.
3) I’m not totally against it but I’m not totally for it. It’s tricky. Once you do that, it’s there forever. To be honest, I’m not begging for it and I’m not opposed to it.
And this is so important. I mean what a simple and honest answer. Finally. He is not totally for it. Because once you do that, it stays there forever
(sorry for just repeating his words but) I still beleive that Norman knows his character better than anyone. And i have literally no doubts that as Norman once said, once Daryl Dixon falls in love with someone, it’s settled. He will love this person till the end of his life. No second chances.
And it’s kinda make me wish writers would keep this line on hold for as long as possible. Because be it Carol or some dude or some other woman, it’s setted. No more more sweet slow burn, no more Daryl’s awkwardness, no more drifting apart and coming together, no more will they/won’t and i love this shit, for Christ’s sake.
Aaaand what’s even more important is this:
4) I’ve had lots of talks with Scott about it.
It means that if they ever choose to follow down this path, it will be written well and in character and it will not stop the evolution of Caryl bond but provide even more insight and depth to the characters than there already is.
So in conclusion of this mess of a post, i’m not opposed to Caryl becoming canon even in season six, if writers can pull that off. I’m not opposed to Caryl becoming canon in the very last moment of the show. I’m not opposed to it never becoming canon, but only if their friendship does not get ruined.
What i am opposed to is characters stopping their evolution; characters getting killed off after something becomes canon; an honest anwer being labeled as trolling, and also hot people never ever to make out ever.