This is coming a little late, but I just wanted to chime in. It’s rare that I’ve reached such a concrete list so early in the year. I think most of these choices are rock solid and will remain on the list by the end of 2014. So yeah, hell of a year so far.
Maps to the Stars does not yet have U.S. distribution so may not be considered a 2014 release. But I’ll roll with it until noted otherwise.
This has supposedly been a strong year for quality popcorn flicks. Unfortunately, I’ve missed out on some I really wanted to check out in theaters (e.g. 22 Jump Street, X-Men: Days of Future Past), so I can’t attest to that.
I would include in-depth critiques of each film, but hey, life’s too short and I’m too old for that shit.
10. THEY CAME TOGETHER - dir. David Wain
9. IDA - dir. Pawel Pawlikowski
8. THE DOUBLE - dir. Richard Ayoade
7. ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE - dir. Jim Jarmusch
6. SNOWPIERCER - dir. Bong Joon-Ho
5. THE IMMIGRANT - dir. James Grey
4. MAPS TO THE STARS - dir. David Cronenberg
3. UNDER THE SKIN - dir. Jonathan Glazer
2. THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL - dir. Wes Anderson
1. NYMPHOMANIAC - dir. Lars von Trier