HAPPY 125th BIRTHDAY NINTENDO!
So Nintendo Co., LTD., known to most of us as just Nintendo, celebrates its 125th birthday as a company today. They company was founded on September 23, 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi. Of course, they didn’t get into the video game market until the late ’70s, but Nintendo was into gaming of a different sort for much longer than that. Originally they were the makers of hanafuda cards.
Here are five other facts about the company:
- Nintendo of America is also the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball team.
- The name Nintendo can be roughly translated from Japanese to English as “leave luck to heaven.”
- One of its first electronic toys was the Love Tester in 1969.
- Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of such icons as Mario, Donkey Kong and Link, joined Nintendo in 1977.
- Nintendo says it has sold more than 670 million hardware units over its history in the video game market.
What was the first Nintendo product/game you played?