Classic Thrillpower From The Archives:Necronauts
With Hallowe’en fast approaching we’re staying on a horror theme,with this forgotten gem,the sadly short-lived,occult thriller Necronauts.
Written by prolific script droid,Gordon Rennie and artwork in monstrous monochrome by fellow Cal-Hab droid,Frazer Irving,the story centres around four real-life occult adventurers,author and believer,Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,mystery collector Charles Fort,escapologist extraordinaire Harry Houdini and keeper of secrets,H.P. Lovecraft!
Houdini(aka Eric Weiss)has found a way to journey into the afterlife and is attempting to contact the dead,however each trip exhausts the great magician mentally,causing him to become physically ill.
Unfortunately,the occult explorer has caught the attention of some darkly demonic denizens of the spirit world,who have been crouching unseen for eons in the corners of their reality,waiting for a chance to make it through to ours,turning the Earth into a charnel house.
H.P.,or Howard Phillips Lovecraft is not a stranger to the thin veil that separate these realities and agrees to travel to the spirit realm with Houdini.
Meanwhile,Conan Doyle and Charles Fort discover that ancient evil forces from the other side,have human servants and are already breaking through to our dimension-hot on the trail of the amateur sleuth and the mystery buff!.
Can Fort and Conan Doyle hold back the demonic horde on the physical plane,whilst Houdini and Lovecraft attempt to slam the door shut in the spiritual world..?
Necronauts(Prog2001,1223-30,13Dec’00-21Feb’01).Gordon Rennie(w).Frazer Irving(a).
- Cover art (Prog1226,24Jan’01) feat. Conan Doyle and Charles Fort holding back evil forces trying to break through from a dark dimension!Frazer Irving(a).
- Harry Houdini has pulled off his greatest “trick”-he can cross over to the spirit world,but needs to use his skills as an escapologist to get back again!Frazer Irving(a).
- Meanwhile,attending a seance in England,Sir Arthur Conan Doyle gets a message from the afterlife,warning of an ancient evil waiting to enter our reality,turning our world into a living Hell!
- Horrified by this turn of events a member of the seance group rends his flesh apart.The mangled corpse then reveals that due to Houdini's trips to the spiritual plane,ancient forces of evil have found a way to get through to our reality!
- As Houdini prepares to take another trip to the spiritual plane,Conan Doyle and Fort discover a device that allows them to stay in contact with the magician,and also learn of the beings known variously as the Great Old Ones,Dark Gods,Sleepers in the Void,etc.who are waiting to cross over to the physical plane,using Houdini's soul as transport.
- A vision of Earth under the rule of the Dark Gods..nasty!
- Conan Doyle and Fort keep the forces of darkness at bay on the physical,as Houdini and Lovecraft try to prevent an incursion from the spiritual plane.
- Creepy cover art(Prog1230,21Feb’01)by Greg Staples,as Houdini struggles to free himself from the grasp of ancient gods desperate to escape their dark dimension.
- Houdini realises that he must stay on the spiritual plane,locked in an eternal battle with the Great Old Ones,sacrificing his human form in the process.
- Lovecraft,doomed to write of visions beyond the veil of reality,is driven insane from his contact with the Dark Gods,becoming another casualty of their nightmarish war against evil!Fort and Conan Doyle visit the grave of Eric Weiss(Houdini),saddened but secure in the knowledge,that the great magician continues to fight his unending conflict with those ancient horrors that lurk in the darkest recesses of our imagination!
Spare a thought for this brave Necronaut,on cold dark nights when the shadows seem alive,as he pilots his spiritual plane around the edges of reality,holding back the tide of terror just waiting to break through and feed on your soul…!