I am wondering if you can help me? I've had the most terrible writing block for months, and I have no idea how to snap out of it!! Any ideas would be much appreciated :)
Good question! I’m just getting over a small bout of it, too. Here’s what I found in my case.
For me, it was fear related. I was afraid my OC villain is vastly undeveloped compared to the rest of the cast AND the plot hole so big I could fly a Boeing 747 through it. I knew this on some level, but for the past 7 weeks, I was largely ignoring it. It was only after I had a phenomenal melt down at a friend’s house this past weekend (Don’t worry. I wrote about it) that I was able to connect those dots.
Anyway, some other tips for you to try:
- Writing Prompt Generators. I’ve heard good things about the ones at Seventh Sanctum.
- Write by hand. You heard me. Ditch the keyboard and screen and go for the old school pen and paper. It’s a very different writing experience and many find it soothing. Myself included!
- Role Play. Get a writing buddy and do some character RP. You may find yourself stumbling into a story.
- No Delete. If you are writing at a computer, make a rule that you won’t use the delete or Backspace key. That means no fixing typos and no going back to cleaning up things. You are writing, not editing!
- Soothing music. AB or one of the other mods posted a great background music post awhile back. Find some soothing background music or other white noise and turn that on while you write.
- Set the bar lower. Just like going back to the gym after a long hiatus, take it easy on yourself for awhile. Just focus on getting your words down without beating yourself about word count. Instead, focus on consecutive writing days.