A nurse was reprimanded for several occurrences. Her response: poison the boss.
The office manager noticed her coffee had a strange flavor to it and poured it out, finding some gray goo, but she didn’t think much of it until she suffered from stomach cramps and sickness. After x-rays revealed metal flakes, the obvious conclusion was mercury ingestion.
The most likely source of the metal was from a mercury amalgam, the silver filling dentists use, dumped directly into the coffee.
The nurse thinks she was set up by the evil coworkers who dislike her ‘by-the-book’ attitude.
These amalgams are inexpensive and routinely used in fillings. Only low levels are known to leech from the alloy when the filling is installed. They are considered safe because inorganic mercury doesn’t pose a great risk to humans through consumption. It’s usually passed without problem, but high concentrations can cause complications in the kidney. By consuming the whole lump, the concentrations may be high enough, and, if nothing else, consuming a lump of metal is bound to upset a stomach. (How many people would be clam about swallowing a filling anyway?)