Briefly, it means:
- zero meaningful action in regards to climate change and pollution
- little to no investment in renewable energy
- a man who knows little about foreign political situations will represent us internationally
- a man who knows little about how the technology of the internet works will facilitate the replacement of the national broadband network with a far inferior network
- funding cuts to education
- funding cuts to public services
- a man who is undoubtedly deeply misogynist, who stopped women having access to RU468 in his term as health minister, will represent us internationally
- little to no measures to ensure greater gender equality in government and workplaces
- a man who is undoubtedly deeply racist will facilitate more inhumane treatment of asylum seekers
- a man who is undoubtedly deeply racist will facilitate more mistreatment and hostility towards Indigenous Australians
- we are already internationally scrutinised for our treatment of asylum seekers and Indigenous Australians, and a man who will facilitate worse treatment of both groups will represent us internationally
- Abbott’s focus on surplus and cutting spending runs the real risk of sending us into recession, ending our internationally praised economy and decisions made by the previous Labor government
- a man with little understanding of economics will represent us internationally
- marriage equality won’t happen
- little support for the economically disadvantaged, but greater support for the high earners. his paid parental leave scheme is an example of that.
Given that the position of Prime Minister will be occupied by a racist, sexist, homophobic, technologically illiterate, economically illiterate, climate change sceptic, such beliefs and actions will be condoned by the highest office and supported by a liberal government.
We have a Prime Minister who publicly (and repeatedly) says ignorant and harmful things (this blog is full of them). And this is a man who will represent us on an international stage.
The ramifications of an Abbott prime ministership go beyond what policies he and a liberal government enact. And such policies will damage the growth of Australia into the coming decades.
An Abbott prime ministership will spread misinformation, breed ignorance, condone oppressive actions and beliefs, condone inaction on climate change, and set back equality on all axes. And that’s just in Australia.
Internationally, he will demonstrate for other nations and their leaders what Australia is made of; racist, sexist, homophobes who are irresponsible on climate change, who don’t believe in equality, who have little understanding of technology and economics. The man we chose will show the world how much of a joke we are.