Okay. Obviously I’m having no trouble when it comes to creating hilarious titles for these…
I’m also having some difficulties with hash tags. I guess I’m using too many on insta? Y’all, I’m sorry. I’m just tryina network.
Lastly, I use the hash tag “#smoothielab” in reference to a meth lab… OH, and sometimes I throw in “#gangstarap” because I’m not being serious.
So, boyfriend and I broke up two weeks ago. It’s been rough.
Once again, I’ve turned to the power of food, and I’ve concocted a very simple…
Super Serotonin Smoothie
What is Serotonin and what does it do?
I’m glad you asked. First off, serotonin is a hormone and neurotransmitter. It’s really important in the regulation of sleep, your mood, how we learn, and vasoconstriction, which is the way in which blood vessels constrict. That last fact is cool because vasoconstriction has A LOT to do with headaches/migraines, which I get frequently.
Why are you SAD?
That last part is funny because I meant it in the way that I’m sad that I’m alone, and because SAD also stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is a type of depression that occurs generally in the late fall and throughout the winter months. However, it should be noted that SAD is a completely normal… thing that happens. Especially with women. Being a smart and single woman who doesn’t have to be defined by her relationship with a man, my reason tells me that my slight seasonal depression has only been exacerbated by my recent break up.
So yeah, maybe I am a little SAD.
I’ll start with the ingredients, then we’ll talk about what they do. Like usual, the ingredients will go in order of when they should be placed in the blender.
- agave, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 big handful of spinach
- 1 diced and frozen banana
- 4-5 frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1-2 tsp flaxseed (you can use flaxseed meal! Just buy it pre-made or process it yourself in a food processor. My Vita-mix pulverizes flaxseed pretty well, and I don’t mind the chewiness. It’s up to you)
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
- a dash or two of ground ginger
- smallish hand full of almonds (ADD THESE AFTER AND ONLY AFTER ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS HAVE BEEN BLENDED OR ELSE YOUR BLENDER WILL HAVE AN ANEURISM)
Blend, blend, blend.
- Sweetener, ginger, cinnamon: these are all for taste and ENERGY!
- Spinach: folic acid; important player in the production of Serotonin! Fights heart disease, cancer, AND depression! Extremely important during pregnancy and while breast feeding.
- Banana: B6; with folic acid, B6 is needed to produce Serotonin. B6 is also important to mom and baby health during pregnancy. B6 has also been shown to fight cancer, improve brain functions, and fight heart disease. Bananas are also said to help hangovers and migraines.
- Strawberries and blueberries: Vitamin C; one of the other ingredients needed to make Serotonin, also helps out your immunity system, along with providing wonderful antioxidants!
- Flaxseed: according to livestrong.com “flaxseed is another great source of omega-3 fatty acids. They also are rich in magnesium and B-vitamins, nutrients that help us combat stress”
- Almonds: another serotonin-boosting food, research has shown that eating nuts can help reduce obesity (that means they keep you full longer), blood pressure, and blood sugar.
There you have it. My mind reached some sort of clarity, and I’ll be trying this blend again in the near future.
To my sweet, sweet, eighteen followers: I hope you’re all well. I hope your hearts are well. I’m not telling you that a smoothie can fix your problems. If you are having any serious, life-altering thoughts, please, get help.
Lots of love to you all.