My first attempt at printing out some stickers designed as part of my ‘Beyond’ jeans brand response. The idea is that within each price tag attached to the jeans will be one or two stickers. I thought that it would add a little something extra to the label as an object. It is also a way of getting more people to engage and familiarise with the brand.
I’m really pleased with how they have turned out since I only had an inkjet printer to work with, and things that I have tried in the past with similar stock have smudged and been a bit disappointing. These however instantly dried, and the glossy finish really makes the colour stand out.
All of my size tag prototypes in varying colour combinations and styles. I can’t decide whether I prefer the dark coloured background with the pattern inside the number, or the designs with the patterned edges. If I were to go with the patterned number design, I would definitely stick to using the versions with the darker coloured backgrounds, as they show off the detail better. I’ll have a think and come back to it.
Some photos showing the outcomes that I have created so far whilst working on this brief (excluding the shopping bag). These include finalised designs, as well as numerous prototypes (images 3 and 4).
Unfortunately, I’ve had to use the printer at home which is pretty old, so the print quality for some of the text isn’t great. This will be rectified when I do my final print run of everything at the very end.
The development of outcomes for my live project brief. Here I have applied the brand identity to a gift card sleeve and a price tag. I have tried inverting the colours for both designs to see how this wold effect the visual, but this could also work in terms of how the brand could work for both male and female customers - a light background with colourful identity for one, and the opposite for the other perhaps?
Some very rough typographic experiments that I conducted for ‘Phase 1’ of my live brief (before they changed the age of the target audience!). I decided that a style inspired by Sci-Fi film posters could work well in the context of my chosen brand name, which was aimed at 18-25 year olds and inspired by the mood board. The theme that I depicted from the board was ‘the invincibility of youth’. I will be pushing these further in order to refine the brand logo, as well as creating purchase labels, bags and the like.
Some doodley drawings that I have done whilst carrying on my live jeans brief for the 18-25 year age group. These are variations on the brand identity that I had hand drawn, as I wanted the brand’s visual to be quite playful and exciting.
To represent the importance of using language as a tool, I shaped a sponge into a speech bubble. In creating this object I aimed to convey the ability that we have to ‘absorb’ language and dialect ‘like a sponge’ with our brains. This was deemed one of the most successful parts of my manifesto visualisation, due to its simplicity.
A logo/identity that I designed for my friend’s radio show at the University of Gloucestershire Student’s Union. The show centred around the Uni’s sports teams and news, but also included interviews and live music sessions. I aimed to project a happy, playful message, whilst keeping the link to sport a clear one. There were many different factors that I had to feature within this design - such as the SU’s logo, the ‘BUCS’ sports logo, and the Uni newspaper ‘Space”. I managed to make most of these into ‘stickers’ upon the blue locker itself, however the SU logo features as the rays of blue at the back of the image.
A new direction with the design of my portfolio - I have tried to incorporate an example of my handmade work with digital type to demonstrate the multi-dimensional aspect of my work. Still a work in progress but it’s definitely getting somewhere…
Some pieces that I made to represent the theme of ‘Opposites’, and how they can be used as a device in design to help convey or reinforce a message. These magnets demonstrate how two separate things can work together to create something bigger and better.
A mock-up design of my personal identity, featuring some of the work from my past project. Here I have tried to incorporate the two magnets that I made to create the ‘B’ of my surname. I have been trying to keep it fairly simple besides this, so that the logo/identity is still legible on a smaller scale.
After my first attempt at printing and creating these labels, I have tried a few different things in order to see how this impacts the overall feel and look. As the focus of the product is to be the coloured thread used on the jeans, I thought about featuring something like this on the tag itself, as it is essentially a major part of the brand.
Firstly, I tried visualising this by incorporating a dashed line. However, this is a little too simple, and doesn’t really make that much impact.
I then tried running the tag through my sewing machine, so as to have an actual line of stitching on the tag. I was pleased with this result initially, but the messy back of tangled threads completely ruins the back of the label.
Finally, I printed both sides of the label out separately onto card, ran them through the sewing machine again, and then mounted them both back-to-back onto a thicker piece of mount board. This way, the backs of the sewn pieces are hidden, and the tag itself feels a lot more substantial - perhaps something expected of a higher-end brand as the thicker label seems of better quality.
I will now continue to work on this visual alongside the other outcomes for this brief, and see if I can better them further.
I’ve decided that I’m gonna try and do some DIY screen printing at home, using a kit that I got over Christmas. I’m excited/anxious to see how it turns out, but if it’s a success then my ‘Beyond’ project bags will have a nice hand made feel about them :).