In which Agents of SHIELD is revealed as the unholy lovechild of Joss Whedon's other shows
AOS, I realized during the final stages of binge-watching season 1, is actually a mash-up of Buffy and Firefly.
- A small ship carrying a crew of do-gooding rogues that rarely finds a safe place to land: Serenity and The Bus
- Coulson and Skye are Giles and Buffy
- FitzSimmons echo Willow and Xander, River and Simon
- Ward echoes both Angel and Spike as bad-guy love interest and Jayne as official thug, shoot first talk later
- Melinda May echoes Buffy, Faith, Zoe, and River in her super fighting abilities
- SHIELD echoes the Watchers’ Council; SHIELD as Hydra echoes the Alliance: Ambiguous institutional authority
- Trip and Robin Wood are the Cool Black Guy
- Raina visually echoes Inara: A very femme presentation, long curly dark hair, pretty dresses
Feel free to disagree, but this is what I’m seeing and maybe I’m not crazy.