In an effort to familiarize myself with “Jeonnam,” where I’ll be spending the next year of my life, started research on the province and here’s what I have so far :]
(Thank you Wikipedia for always being there for me in times of need <3)
- What I have been referring to as “Jeonnam” in the past few posts is more specifically Jeollanam-do Province, or the South Jeolla Province.
- Jeonnam is the southwest region of Republic of Korea, and it is bounded on the west by the Yellow Sea, north by Jeollabuk-do Province, south by the Jeju Strait, and east by Gyeongsangnam-do.
- There are over 2,000 islands (2219 islands to be exact which account for 65% of all islands in Korea) along the coastline, about 3/4 of which are uninhabited.
- Jeonnam is home to just under 2 million people and some of the main marine products that it produces include oysters and cultivated seaweed.
(Fun Fact about me: I LOVE oysters!!! Super excited!!!!)
- Jeonnam is known for its abundant rainfall which helps its agriculture including rice, wheat, barley, potatoes, vegetables, cotton, and fruits.
(Fun Fact #2 about me: Not a big fan of humidity and rain)
- Jeonnam is home to the warmest weather on the Korean peninsula.
(Fun Fact #3 about me: I have ZERO tolerance for heat. I’M NOT FREAKING OUT)
- Small amounts of gold and coal are mined in the province :] Possible hopes of becoming richer a year later? :D
Well that’s the end to my quick update on Jeonnam! I’ll be back with more soon ;]