Before I Sleep by SplickedyHat
Your name is Rosa Maryam and you grew up dreaming of a perfect family, being the perfect wife, the perfect mother. After the miscarriage at eighteen, you were lost. After the divorce a year later, you were broken. When hope arrives in the strangest possible form, a well-intended but tasteless gift, you don’t recognize it. Not at first.
You did not give birth to your son but he is yours, and he saved your life, and you will never let anyone hurt him.
I highly recommend the tissues for this one because it will break your heart, especially if you have children. It covers a lot of time over a short space and is very clever how it develops things.
A powerful story that is unique in the sense that you do not need the original work to understand it.
- Heart warming and motherly with realistic child development and characters.
- Story is almost completely independent to the original work, yet is still very close to it as well. My mother read this and understood it as much as I did.
- Adorable artwork.
- Does not loose it’s light hearted nature and even the darker sense are very light in nature, it’s nice to have something that is not graphic or dark in nature for once.
- Descent Humanstuck that touches on real humans problems.
- There isn’t very many references to the time and although it could work as a bit of a timeless story, it does say that it is set in the 1960 and onwards.
- Don’t want to cry… DON’T READ THIS FUCKING STORY!!!!
- Might need some prior knowledge of Homestuck otherwise the whole concept of trolls will be lost on you.