Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Ark)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 natural, +2 leather armor, +2 heavy steel shield), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+2/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+2/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Full Telekinesis, Life Leech
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Major Phobia
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3
Feats: Power Attack
Environment: Nonarctic plains, forest or hills
Organization: Solitary, pair, hunting pack (2-12), full pack (6-36)
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3
Description: These intelligent man-dogs grow to be 3 meters high when standing on their hind feet. Their hands have adapted to tool use. Their coarse, Heavy fur offers substantial protection from the elements. They run the gamut of colors: Brown, Black, White, Blond, Spotted, Multi hued, Ect.
Arcs carry tech lvl II weapons: Swords, Spears, Bows and such. They most commonly wear leather or studded leather armor, And have rarely been seen without a shield of some sort. Their pack insignia usually emblazoned upon their shields.
Combat: The arks’ Primary strategy is to attack from ambush with guerrilla tactics, Using their life leach mutation as much as possible. Sense they are not immune to this power themselves, They life leach each other as well as themselves in combat. However their mutual life leaches tend to cancel each other out. They have an unreasoning fear of flying creatures over 1 meter.
- Telekinesis: (5Mp) - As a move action, Arks can make a Concentration check and lift 30 lbs (DC 10), +5 DC for every additional 30 lbs. A ranged attack (10’ inc) can be made with the object listed, doing 1d4 points of damage for every 30 lbs of the object.
- Life Leech: (5Mp) - The mutant is able to drain the life force out of any creature. Small animals and normal plants are not affected by life leech. Most common animals over a foot in size qualify. Plants only qualify if they are mobile or sentient. The character drains 5 + WILL modifier hit points from all such creatures within 25 feet each round that fails a FORT (DC 10 + Will mod) save. He can continue to use this power for 5 + WILL modifier rounds, but then must rest it for at least 24 hours. All creatures that are of sufficient size must make a FORT save. The hit points drained from nearby creatures are first used to heal any damage he has taken. Any leftover points are put into a special pool of hit points. All subsequent attacks do damage to this hit point pool. Only when the pool is empty do attacks affect the creature’s original hit points. After four hours, what remains of any of these “phantom” hit points in the pool begin to fade at a rate of 5 + WILL modifier per round. The hit point pool cannot exceed 1/2 the character’s unwounded HP.
- Phobia, major [D] (5Mp) - A DC 20 Will check is required for an Ark to be able to force herself into (or remain within) the presence of flying creatures over 1 meter in size, and even then the Ark takes a -4 morale penalty as long as such creatures remain.
Society: The hound folk loosely knit family units called packs. These packs can be unto 2 dozen members strong, Hunting parties rarely exceed a dozen. Packs are rules by the alpha male, usually the ark with the most combat Prowess. Other males with challenge the alphas for the rite to lead the pack. Sometimes when a pack gets large enough it will split, one following the newer alpha and the other following the old alpha.
Arks fear all TL III and IV artifacts. Ignore them if rolled as loot. However, Tech V and VI artifacts are worships as totems. The alpha males first wife is charged with care and transportation of the totems. They consider humanoid hands to be a great delicacy.
Arks As Characters
Ark characters possess the following racial traits.
- Strength +4, Constitution +2, Intelligence -2, Charisma -2.
- Size Medium.
- An Ark’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: An Ark begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.
- Racial Skills: An Ark’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Listen and Spot.
- Racial Feats: An Ark’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
- +1 natural armor bonus.
- Mutations (listed above)
- Automatic Languages: Ark. Bonus Languages: Trade, human cultural languages
- Favored Class: Ranger.
- Level adjustment +3.
(Based on D20 Gnoll)