Considering my mood and everything that has been falling on my head the past few days, this will be tough but I’ll give it a go.
1. The charity book sale at the local Presbyterian church. I spent two hours there this afternoon and walked off with a box of books for $10. My best find? “The Tao of Long Life: The Chinese Art of Chang Ming.” I’m going to be driving everyone crazy looking at the size of their pupils and the shape of their nostrils and trying to discern the state of their physical health. It’s my thing.
2. My husband. After 26 years together he just gets me and it’s the most comforting thing in the world when I’m not up to making an effort or explaining my moods. He knows. He still loves me.
3. Homeschooling. I know a lot of people turn their noses up at it, especially when they find out I live in the Bible Belt, but hey. We’re secular homeschoolers, I teach evolution and my 12-year-old just read Macbeth and wrote an absolutely brilliant thematic analysis. It’s tough some days, math will always be a tearful thing, but overall it’s working for us.
4. My FrogWatch duties. I’ve submitted three official observations now and each time I get a little better at identifying calls and I finally recognized the difference between a gray tree frog and a chorus frog, oh my god. I’ve always been a science nerd and frog observation is perfect for me because you do it at night, when it’s cool and dark and quiet. The director of the program at the St. Louis Zoo is a super chill dude and it’s fun to talk frogs with him.
5. Good friends who don’t mind angry/emotional texts very late at night when I’m struggling, like I am right now. Gee, that wasn’t very happy.