It is my second time to finally finish a book out of self-will. (Third if I will include a book from way back my college days.) This book is about making right decisions at work, or in the workplace. Basically it is about living a wise and dynamic Christian life in the midst of a corrupted and compromising world of the young professional’s environment.
By the time I started reading this, sobrang nagsastruggle ako sa buhay trabaho ko. Tinatamad gumising ng 4am para pumasok ng 6am, tinatamad magtrabaho dahil walang boss na nagbabantay, tinatamad din ayusin ang performance. Di ko alam kung bakit, parang sinumpong lang siguro talaga ako.
After reading halfway through the chapters my life was completely changed. The importance of discipline in time, manners, trust, integrity and stewardship clearly enlightened me that I need to do something different so I would see results in a new way.
These are some of the insights I learned as I read this book:
1. It’s okay to start at the bottom of the organizational chart. The Lord says that we should not underestimate the humble beginnings in our lives. This is the perfect position to be a servant, to be proactive and to learn a lot from our bosses and colleagues.
2. God desires excellence from us. Faithfulness qualifies us for bigger responsibilities and diligence leads to success, profit and honor. Start low and slow and work up!
3. Be the best in whatever you do. Discipline yourself through the Word and you will be wise and successful! Serve well because you are serving God in your work. :) Philippians 4:13. Learn to rely on the greatest Source!
4. Words have power and the best way to deal with gossip is to counterattack the negative words with something positive about a person. It pays to be quiet in green jokes. Be positive, always!
5. Render quality work during office hours. Do not cheat on your company. Have integrity.
6. Work together and be one team. Cooperate with your teammates and your boss.
7. It’s okay to enjoy and reward yourself with the fruit of your labor but remember that life is not entirely about the reward. It is about glorifying God in whatever you have. God calls us to bear much fruit!
8. Dwell in His presence! There is true joy in your secret place with God. Dont splurge too much on travelling and tours that wont give TRUE rest. Invest in God’s presence.
9. You are a light in your workplace. Your character and attitude will be much mor attractive than your Bible knowledge. You have been sent by God there and so shine your light before men.
10. May purpose kung bakit ka nilagay ni Lord sa lugar na iyan, and surely He will fulfill that purpose sa buhay mo.
Enjoying the favor of the Lord, education, money, promotion and position – if they come to us – are just “icing on the cake.” The real deal is assurance of salvation, joy, peace, wisdom and divine health.
Nakaka-inspire ang author na si Mrs. Yay Padua-Olmedo, kasi she was born way ahead of me, at nagkaroon siya ng career na BOOM talaga. Matataas ang position niya, at experienced na siya pagdating sa field niya. Kilala siya, at respetado sa industriya. Reading this book is like having a life mentor when it comes to work …. teaching you which works, which doesn’t work, and which one pleases the Lord greatly.
Para akong nakikinig sa Ate ko / Mama ko, na nagaadvise, nagkukwento ng mga experiences niya. And from the tone of her writing you can sense a feeling of confidence like, “I’ve been here and I’ve done that, this is a roadblock and on this way you will be blessed.” Wow, ang gandang experience na magnavigate sa buhay ng isang taong ginamit ng Diyos sa workplace niya. Hindi basta basta, pero nag-excell sa mundo para sa kaluwalhatian ng Diyos.
Nagstruck saakin yung phrases na “humbling experience” at mas naging cautious ako na sa mga araw nagmagsspend ako ng oras sa trabaho, dadalhin at dadalhin ako ni God sa mga ganitong sitwasyon na kung saan may ituturo siya saakin.
Thank you Lord for this book!