I suppose I’ve done a shitty job of updating my blog over the past 10 weeks. I could make excuses, such as not being able to access the internet since leaving Gaberone (curse you Windows 8, you and your 17 inch resistance to any limited internet) I could say that I dislike or am even unable to write out thoughtful, eloquent posts from my iPhone, I could say that I haven’t wanted to publicly write about my experience just far due to the fact that I have not been a proper volunteer, merely a trainee, learning whatever is deemed appropriate and useful for me to know.
Now that I am a volunteer, I feel that taking the time to write out my experience with my pointer finger is worthwhile, as I have more to offer in terms of reflections and information.
I am a peace corps volunteer.
I am a Volunteer.
I have successful trained to remain a peace corps volunteer in Botswana for another two years, after having completed two years of domestic volunteer service in America with City Year.
Why am I a volunteer? Why is this something I have gone with the past two years? Why is it something I have dedicated myself to for another two years.
In honesty, the term volunteer has little to do with my life. I have been doing volunteer work not because I’m volunteering, but because the job has more to do with people, environments, hardships and self-growth.
Coming to Africa has a lot to do with me. As another volunteer and I said, 40% of the reason we joined the peace corps is to travel and live in another country. But what does the other 60% leave?
Probably a myriad of wanting a challenge, wanting to be immersed with people who exist far away from everything I have ever known and find the commonality, and continue enjoying the world not confined by the screen of a computer or the walls of an office, or more realistically, a cubicle.
Botswana will give me everything it needs to, and I will give it everything that I can in return.
For now, this is all I have time to write. Tomorrow I leave the comfort and love of my host granny`s house and head to my site alone. Hopefully there will be computer at the school I’m at and I will be able to post about the culture and other nuances I have been unable to information you of. But if not, imagine that I am happy and learning to love the world more than I was before.