Extant—premiering tonight (July 9) on Global—is one of the most anticipated shows of the summer. Executive-produced by Steven Spielberg, the moody space drama stars Oscar-winner Halle Berry as an astronaut who spends a year alone in orbit—then returns home pregnant. Bermuda-born, South Carolina-raised newcomer Sergio Harford may just be the key to that mystery. We chatted with the fun-loving actor about the song that makes him cry, the superpower he wishes he had and his secret fantasy.
My friends say… I always have the best snacks at my house.
My greatest fear is… having to cook dinner because I suck at it, but can I make a mean scramble for breakfast.
Best meal I can cook I love take out!
My greatest love is… getting my dance on.
My greatest indulgence is… Anything mango.
What I miss most about home is… The food! South Carolina knows how to throw down.
Favourite men’s designer: Tom Ford if I’m trying to break the bank. Topman for day to day.
Best thing about being an actor: Every day is different.
What human quality would you like to eradicate? Indecisiveness, because it creates doubt and fear. I usually just go for it.
What human quality would you like to see more of? More honesty and loyalty equals a deeper human connection.
First job: Telemarketing (voiceover practice?)
I love it when a woman wears… her clothes, but doesn’t let her clothes wear her.
The best quality in a partner is… communication skills.
Song that makes me tear up: “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith.
Last thing that made me cry: Stubbing my damn toe first thing in the morning.
Secret fantasy: Being a fly on a wall whenever I want.
Superpower I would like most to possess and why? Teleportation. A brutha needs to get to where he needs to be.
My childhood hero was… my mom. Cliché, but true. Single mom of three and look how I turned out!
And now, a few questions about Extant.
1. Any crazy audition stories? There was that one time I was mic-ed and let’s just say I got really into character and the mic pack went flying across the room. Oops!
2. Was it intimidating to meet Halle Berry for the first time? I thought it might be, initially, but she has the ability to immediately disarm one’s nervousness with her warm, open and genuine spirit.
3. How did you prepare for your role? I love sci-fi, so I just channeled my inner E.T.
4. What’s the hardest part about playing Marcus? Marcus is very still, Sergio is not.
5. What’s your dream role? To play a superhero.