Dairy-Free Pesto You Can Eat on ANYTHING
This recipe will officially help you Fit Yo Pants!
My man likes to say that “pesto is fancy-people ranch,” and I think he’s right. Pesto is one of those condiments, like ranch, that tastes good on just about anything. And it makes most things taste a whole lot better.
Since I’m kinda enjoying the dairy free life right now (thanks to the Whole30), I wanted to create a dairy-free pesto that tasted just as amazing as the original version. The secret ingredient? Lemon juice (not pictured!), which adds the same tang that parmesan cheese does in standard recipes. I also bulked up this recipe with fresh baby spinach — basically for volume.
You’ll need (makes 6-8 servings):
- about 4 cups fresh basil
- about 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup olive oil. I used a garlic version from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have garlic olive oil, add a clove or two of garlic to the mix.
- juice from one lemon
- 3/4 cup pine nuts (toasted if you like — mine weren’t)
- lots of salt and pepper
- In your food processor, blend the greens down.
- Add pine nuts and blend those.
- Drizzle olive oil through the spout as you continue to blend.
- Add lots of salt and pepper to taste.
You can eat this stuff on literally ANYTHING. I first tried it on spaghetti squash, but I think it would be amazing on any meat (chicken or steak, especially) and veggies. All the flavor, none of the bad stuff. A total Fit Yo Pants-worthy condiment!