Since I’ve updated my copy of Krita to 2.9, the presets in my quick access ring seem to have been frozen, but I finally dug up the solution by scanning the files. I found and removed a file called
kis_paintoppresets_tags.xml that fixed my previous selections in place, and made them impossible to remove or change. For a while, I was confounded because a completely separate file called
kritarc also kept a list of my presets. This was a red herring; even after changing the selections, the old list remains in
kritarc. So this must be an outdated configuration line.
Anyway, the problem seems to have stemmed from a significant change in the way the access ring works. The original idea was that you have a set number of slots in the ring for tools (brushes, presets, whatever you want to call them). Now you can create multiple batches of tools which you can quickly switch into those slots by tagging the tools to your heart’s delight.
This is, officially, freaking fantastic! The set number of tool slots was a limitation–previously, I could only use the slots for my cartooning tools, but if I wanted to paint I would have to go to the big, messy list of ALL tools and go searching for the paint tools I want to use. Now I can tag the cartooning tools as such, tag some tools for blending, and so on. Bring up the quick access ring, and the tag set can be quickly selected by clicking on the bottom right corner.
This configuration solves a major complaint by users that the brush presets docker didn’t provide any method for sorting or saving favorite tools. Adding that ability to the quick access ring was a stroke o’ genius.
So anyway, near as I can tell, the old file which set the rigid presets conflicted with the new system. I got rid of it then opened Krita and found a clean quick access ring, which offered the advice that presets could only be included in the ring through tagging. You tag the presets by clicking on them in the brush preset docker.
This effectively makes the quick access ring an unlimited number of quick access rings. How nifty!
Last minute thought: For all I know, the problem might have been solved simply by tagging some brushes (presets) in the first place. I didn’t know that’s how the new quick access ring worked, though, and I hadn’t yet bothered tagging anything.