So today is National Carrot Cake Day, which just so happens to be one of my favourite desserts. If you’re feeling more traditional, try my Clean & Classic Carrot Cake recipe, but for those wanting to mix it up, my Carrot Cake Pancakes are equally as decadent and delicious. Plus, they allow you to get away with dessert for breakfast (and who doesn’t love that?!).
Zain’s Carrot Cake Pancakes
The ones in the pic above are my vegan pancakes but I have provided both vegan and non-vegan recipes below.
*Note: I use a non-stick pan and therefore do not need to grease my pan but if you do, use a bit of grapseed oil or coconut oil
7 Egg Whites OR 2 Flax Eggs - (1 Tbsp Ground Flax + 2 Tbsp Water, set aside for 3-5 minutes) *vegan option
½ Scoop Vanilla Whey OR 1 Scoop SUNWARRIOR Vanilla *vegan option
11/2 Tsp Baking Powder
7-10 Drops Vanilla Creme Stevia
1 Tsp Natural Vanilla
¾ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
½ Tbsp Coconut Butter OR 1/8 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Cup Shredded Organic Carrots
2 Tbsp Organic Flame Raisins
½ Tsp Fresh Ginger (minced)
½ Tsp Cinnamon
Maple Syrup to Top
Carrot Cake Frosting:
¼ Cup Greek Yogurt + 1 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese OR ¼ Cup Light Coconut Cream (Leave can of coconut milk in the fridge over night, scoop out the cream) *vegan option
1 tsp Coconut Butter (optional but delicious)
5-7 Drops Liquid Stevia OR 1 Tsp Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp Organic Walnuts
For non-vegan pancakes:
Blend all ingredients together in your Magic Bullet or blender and pour ½ of the mixture onto the pan, flipping and cooking until golden on both sides (approx 3-4 mins)
For vegan pancakes:
*Note: I cook these at a very, very low temperature so as not to burn the nutrients in my raw protein powder
1. Prepare ‘flax egg’ by combining ground flax in water an set aside
2. Mix dry ingredients together until combined
3. Add all wet ingredients - including ‘flax egg’ - to the dry ingredients (add a little water if the batter is too thick to obtain the consistency you desire)
4. Heat non-stick skillet and pour ½ pancake batter onto the grill. Heat for two to three minutes or until edges are slightly browned then flip. Repeat with the remaining half of the batter
Mix all ingredients together and top over pancakes once cooked.
To me, pancakes aren’t just for breakfast. In fact, I eat them
All. Day. Long.
So today is National Pancake Day (as if I needed another excuse to devour these!). If you haven’t tried my ultra-clean, protein-rich, and incredibly versatile pancakes before, I’ll show you step-by-step how to create this fool-proof recipe in this video!
Use this as a base and create your own fabulous flavours. Some of my favourites include:
Anyone as addicted to Pinterest as I am? I love how it’s a smorgasbord of inspiration, ideas, and creativity - it’s so easy to get lost in all of the amazing photos out there! These are some of my favorite pins this week. Are you on Pinterest? Send me your profile and I’ll follow you!
We are officially two weeks into 2013, so it’s time to check-in: how are you all doing with your goals? Be honest, are you starting to slack-off? If the answer is yes, than this challenge is just what you need to kick yourself into high gear. It is open to everyone who wants to make the most of the next two weeks so you can rock your goals and go into February feeling incredible.
Okay, so some of you have had a couple weeks to get back on the horse. You’ve been to the gym everyday, chose salad over fettucini, opted for fruit in place of sugary desserts, and skipped the wine on both weekends. Since January 1st you were in bed by 10pm, teeth brushed and flossed, have consumed more water in the last two weeks than you did the entire month of December, and you are well on your way…CONGRATS!!
For others you have set the bar really high, almost too high and are now feeling a little guilty about missing a yoga class here or there or indulging over the weekend. It’s not easy going cold turkey after the decadent food, liqueur truffles and Bailey’s coffees, is it?
You may not fit into either of these categories and may have had a super healthy holiday season and are coasting through January like it ain’t no thang…that’s great, but you can still participate and work toward your current goals.
Wherever you are, for the last TWO weeks of January 2013, we are going full force into the KICK YOUR ASS INTO GEAR 2013 Challenge.
You have from January 15th until February 1st to achieve the goals that you set out for yourself…sound good?
This is the time to let go of doubts, fears and anything that you have carried over into the new year. Remember, this challenge is here to give you the opportunity to strive for your goals along side others. The support of a community is invaluable! Use this time to break old habits and self-limiting thoughts and beliefs…this is your time to shine!!!
Here’s how it works:
1. Create a list of healthy goals that you wish to accomplish by January 31st. This could be fitting into a certain dress or outfit, drinking a certain amount of water, sleeping/waking by a certain time…whatever you want it to be. Make your goals realistic and measurable.
Then, in the words of Robert Kennedy, “Complete at least one real action today that will take you closer to achieving your goal(s).”
2. Start your day with your own spiritual/mindfulness practice. This is not something religious or dogmatic just something that will get you to connect to that deeper part of yourself. You do not have to believe in anyone thing in order to do this. It may mean a moment of deep breathing, a prayer, lighting a candle, giving thanks or practicing gratitude, saying a mantra, sitting in silence, admiring a flower, tree or another aspect of nature, listening to your favourite song, holding your partner, being present with your pet etc. When you are present, you will make the best choices for yourself.
3. Plan out your meals for the day. Can you opt for at least 3 meals and two to three snacks? What foods can you include into your diet that will make you feel vibrant, energetic and healthy? Try to consume at least 2-3 liters of water per day. If you need some inspiration, on how to create a meal plan or what foods to include, click HERE.
4. How many workouts will you do this week? Do them, and find an accountability partner. I can be that person as well, feel free to message and tweet me @evepostapple and I will encourage you to stay on track. Be sure to factor in at least one rest day. If you are struggling to find some good workouts, click HERE.
5. Visit TOSCA RENO to find out more about how you can REVAMP YOURSELF where you can get a chance to win an hour consultation with Tosca herself! As you know, TOSCA and THE EAT CLEAN DIEThas been one of the major influences in my transformation and I encourage all of you who are making big steps toward your own transformation to rally up the support of this amazing community.
Just to keep accountable, I will share my goals with you as well:
Here are some of my goals:
Start each day with my meditation practice
Practice gratitude and forgiveness every morning
Practice yoga everyday (either class or self-practice)
Spend at least one day a week with my parents
Speak to my best friend at least twice per week
Follow my meal plan
Hit the gym 5 days per week
Drink 4 liters of water daily
Finish 4 chapters of the Bhagavad Gita
Get to bed by 11:30pm nightly (yikes)
Do not react but act (work on my relationships through practice of presence)
Treat myself to at least one massage
Finish two major (and very exciting) projects that I am working on
Look what I snuck into the movies! Zain’s chocolate chip cookie dough! Totally clean and completely delicious. Way better than greasy popcorn. If you haven’t already, you need to check her recipes out. She’s at evepostapple.tumblr.com