My top 5 OTPs:
(Tagged by ltleflrt)
(Just gonna keep it to Bioware ones because if we go into other series I’d end up with more than 5. Tbh I’d probably have more like 50.)
1. Do you remember the episode/scene/chapter that you first started shipping 5? I literally did a self-indulgent playthrough for it because Merrill is perfect. I had to. I saw her and I knew I instantly was in love with her and had to throw something at her. So I rolled a hardass amazonian warrior LadyHawke and thus the ship of tiny elven adorable mage girlfriend with giant badass tough-girl champion-warrior became a thing.
2. Have you ever read fanfiction about 2? Read, written.
3. Has a picture of 4 been your screen saver/profile picture/tumblr ID? Nnnnnno. I don’t do that. The closest I come is the fact that I have Sheploo as my wallpaper on my iPad and my computer, and that’s the official wallpaper from the collector’s edition extras.
4. If 3 were to suddenly break up today what would your reaction be? FIRST OF ALL HOW FUCKING DARE YOU
5. Why is 1 so important? Dorian is from Tevinter, a place known historically for having been the downfall of the elves; Lavellan is a Dalish elf, part of the wandering bands of elves roaming the countryside and trying to regain what they’ve lost while avoiding humans for the sake of not losing anything more. It’s gloriously star-crossed even without getting into which OC or Lavellan incarnation one might use. But above that, it serves as a bridge of understanding between the two sides, the two cultures, and it’s also a historical book-end.
6. Is 4 a funny or serious ship? Serious, because FemShep is the tomboyish one and Liara is the girly cute one but neither of them loses their agency as a character while being with the other. FemShep is the savior of the galaxy a few times over, and Liara is the goddamn Shadow Broker. It also strikes me as being more of the serious kind of thing that Asari might look for with the whole bondmate thing, while the MShep romance with Liara feels a little more like innocent starry-eyed hero worship. I shouldn’t have to go into how unhealthy that is.
7. Out of all the ships listed, which ship has the most chemistry? With Dorian, it depends on the Lavellan character in question, but usually a lot. Overall though, I’m gonna have to go with 2, no matter where the Shepard in question is on the paragon-to-renegade sliding scale. My run was as a hard Paragon, but I can see how a renegade Shep would click fairly well with him too, especially with Kaidan being principled enough to challenge even a paragon shep’s decisions sometimes. It’s good for renegade Shep to get challenged once in a while.
8. Out of all the ships, which ship has the strongest bond? Liara and FemShep, no question. This is one of those that spans all three games and I can absolutely see that they’re bondmates by the end. I’m fully aware that Liara was kind of shoved at us by the writers and devs, but because of who she is and what she’s like I don’t really find myself minding it too much. Liara trusts Shepard, and Shepard trusts Liara. Both of them are strong on their own but they also compliment each others’ strengths enough that neither of them is made lesser by their bond.
9. How many times have you read/watched 2’s fandom? I track Kaidan’s tags and have the Mass Effect AO3 tags on my favorites. I may have a problem.
10. Which ship lasted the longest? Just in terms of how long I’ve been shipping them? First Bioware game I played that wasn’t Neverwinter Nights when I was a wee thing was Dragon Age 2. Merrill and LadyHawke was my third playthrough and I still suggest the pairing to people who are playing the game for the first time.
11. How many times, if ever, has 5 broken up? Never! At least not that I’ve seen in canon. FemHawke with a friendmance is absolutely dedicated to Merrill, and Merrill would never hurt FemHawke on purpose.
12. If the world was suddenly thrust into a zombie apocalypse, which ship would make it out alive, 1 or 3? Dorian and Lavellan. EDI would try, but Joker’s a squishmuffin, let’s face facts.
13. Did 4 have to hide their relationship for any reason? FemShep straight up told Kaidan she’s les. I think this is probably the kind of ship where there is snogging in public and instances of “this is my pretty blue girlfriend, I love my pretty blue girlfriend”. Even possible public serenades outside Liara’s window on Illium.
14. Is five still together? WELL that depends on your canon doesn’t it. *cough Here Lies The Abyss cough*
15. Is 1 canon? IN MY PLAYTHROUGH IT IS
16. If all five ships were put into a couple’s hunger games, which couple would win? EDI and Joker would be right out. FemShep’s more ruthless than MShep but Kaidan’s better at being the good resourceful soldier, so I’m leaning on them over FemShep and Liara. Dorian would try to forfeit, so they’d be out, which leaves LadyHawke and Merrill with MShep and Kaidan… have to say LadyHawke would probably win that for them.
17. Has anyone ever tried to sabotage 5’s ship? MERRILL HATERS. I CAN’T EVEN.
18. Which ships would you defend to death and beyond? All of them, although I’ve had some REAL good arguments with guildies over LadyHawke and Merrill because people hate Merrill for some reason.
19. Have you ever spent hours a day going through 3’s tumblr page? Nnnnno. But when I see it, I reblog it. Almost without fail really. They make me smile so much. There is hope for humanity so long as EDI and Joker are okay.
20. If an evil witch descended from the sky and told you that you had to pick one of the five ships to break up forever, which ship would you sink? This is a hard one, but Dorian and Lavellan, in the end. All of the other ships have very, very strong bonds, practically forged in the flames of Hell itself. That’s not to say that Dorian and Lavellan don’t love each other; I firmly believe that they do. But. They’d be the most “okay” after a break-up with each other, I think. They’d both be able to find someone again. I’m not sure the rest could.