If any of you are diabetic or know someone who is diabetic please please know the warning signs of low blood sugar and what can be done to correct it. Each person is affected differently by low sugar, but most everyone shows signs at one point.
Some of the most common signs are:
1. Sudden drowsiness (falling asleep in class, nodding off in the car, etc.)
2. Sudden hunger ( usually craving something sweet. That’s the body’s way of saying that it needs sugar)
3. Slurred speech (this is sort of like being drunk. Speech might be very slurred and might not make sense at all.)
4. Extreme confusion ( forgetting name, place, other people.)
5. In serious cases diabetics can have seizures or go into a coma just because of low blood sugar.
What to do if you or someone you know does experience a low blood sugar:
1. Eat or drink something with sugar (fruit or fruit juices work well)
2. Eat or drink something with protein (the protein will help keep the blood sugar up )
3. DO NOT let the person behind the wheel of a car. (Driving with a low blood sugar can have the same effects as driving while highly intoxicated. The risk of injury increase immensely for everyone involved.)
4. Carry a Glucagon ( this is a shot that every diabetic should have with them. It should be injected into the upper thigh/ butt if the person is not able to eat or drink anything. Ultimately this is the last resort before calling 911.)
5. Call 911 if needed. ( please do not be afraid to call for help. A low blood sugar can lead to brain damage or even death if not treated properly.
6. Be sure to get to know the warning signs. ( talk to your doctor about what can be expected from both a low or high blood sugar.)
7. Keep an eye on your blood sugar ( with new technology such as the continuous glucose meters available, it may seem unnecessary to continue manually checking your sugar. But these are machines. They are not always right and they should be calibrated AT LEAST every 12 hours.)
I had an incident with a low blood sugar today that could have been fatal. My blood sugar got to below 20. My CGM told me my blood sugar was over 80 (which is still slightly low but not unreasonable). If my step father had not picked me and my sister up from school, I would have passed out behind the wheel of the car and most likely caused a major accident. By the time we got home I was dizzy and confused and I nearly cracked my head on the stairs. Had he not acted immediately, I could be in a coma or dead by now.
Please please don’t be embarrassed by having diabetes. Tell people about it and what they can do if something happens. If anyone has any questions or comments or just want to talk about having/ caring for diabetes feel free to contact me at any time.