Love Yourself: Healthy (oil-free, no-flour) Vegan Banana Oatmeal Muffins [More from Love Yourself by Jintana W.]
I’d gone to bed last night feeling guilty about not having called my mother, but when I messaged her in the morning she replied with an excited “That’s alright - because I successfully made deliciously healthy oatmeal raisin banana muffins!" Perhaps I should be worried that I stand on par with a batch of banana muffins in my mother’s regard- but the improv cook in me understands the ebullience of redefining a recipe that was never meant to be healthy. People view proponents of healthy food with suspicion, and rightfully so - another innocently sinful dessert has been inducted into the dark cult of oil-free, wholesomely delicious desserts.
For the recipe, click the Read More. Recipe and pictures by Jintana W.
Add some citrus to satisfy your sweet tooth! These blondies are studded with white chocolate and topped with a creamy, sweet red grapefruit frosting.
TIME TO TABLE: 10 minutes prep, 25 minutes baking.
INGREDIENTS: Blondies ½ cup unsalted butter, melted 2/3 cup light brown sugar 1 large egg ¼ teaspoon baking powder ¼ teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour ½ cup white chocolate chips 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Frosting ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened 2 cups confectioner’s sugar 2 ½ tablespoons juice from a freshly squeeze Paramount Citrus red grapefruit Zest of 1 Paramount Citrus red grapefruit Pinch of salt
PREPARATION 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
2. To make the blondies, add the butter and sugar to a medium-size mixing bowl. Stir until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in the egg.
3. Add the baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir until all ingredients are combined
4. Add the flour and stir just until a batter forms. Fold in the white chocolate chips and walnuts.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the edges of the blondies are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
6. For the frosting, add the butter and confectioner’s sugar to the bowl of a mixer. Mix on medium until the butter begins to combine with the sugar, about 90 seconds.
7. With mixer on medium, add the grapefruit, juice, grapefruit zest and salt. Turn the mixer to high and beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until the frosting is smooth and creamy
8. Frost the blondies, cut into 9 squares and serve.