Oh the austerity!
As we recently reported, the left is officially blaming Republicans for the spread of Ebola. You know, sequester and such. It doesn’t matter that the NIH budget has nearly tripled since 2007, the NIH can’t possibly be expected to do its job with the paltry sum of $31 billion the taxpayers give it every year.
But let’s see what the NIH has spent some of that money on within the last couple of years (with links to sources):
- $386,000 to massage rabbits
- $3,200,000 to study drunk monkeys
- $484,260 for studying the effect of hypnosis on hot flashes
- $666,905 (pg 87) on how watching TV reruns might be good for you
- $325,525 to conclude that wives would be happier if they could calm down faster after arguments with their husbands
- $900,000 (pg 100) on a study determining that male fruit flies do indeed like female fruit flies
- $548,731 (pg 127) on a study that suggests that heavy drinking in thirties is linked with immaturity
- $702,558 on a study of the impact of televisions and gas generators on villages in Vietnam
- $423,500 on why men don’t like to wear condoms
- $1,500,000 to study why lesbians are overweight
In just a few minutes, I was able to find nearly $10 million of wasted NIH funds that could have gone toward the creation of an Ebola vaccine. But yeah, it was those draconian cuts that are the real culprit.