(Recipe courtesy of: The Comfort of Cooking blog)
While visiting family in Los Angeles a few weeks ago I came across this recipe (on Pinterest, of course). I decided to make a batch of these for my in-laws and it was definitely a crowd pleaser. These spiced apple caramel crumble bars are the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups cold butter, divided
5 cups (4-5 medium) peeled, diced apples
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper; spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Combine dry ingredient mixture with 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of butter; mix until mixture is well incorporated and resembles crumbs. Set aside 2 cups of crumbs for topping.
- Evenly press remaining crumbs into baking dish; layer with apples.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cold water, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and 2 tablespoons butter; bring to boil. Stir until mixture thickens; pour over apples. Finish off with reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden in color.
- Refrigerate bars until cooled, cut and serve.