When asked what practices are valuable to our community, we reflected on this:
Createch is a space for teens to be creative with technology. Createch strives to provide teens in and around Saint Paul with access to the current and emerging technology needed to pursue their interests and spark new passions, along with mentors to support their individual growth.
Createch sites are currently in three libraries and one recreation building. Each space is different and shaped in part by teens. The mentors, the neighborhood, and community partners all add their flavor to each space.
All Createch programs:
Create an Exclusive, Persistent Space for Teens (12 - 18)
Incorporate the Teen Voice
Encourage “Hanging Out[i]” with Technology
Offer chances to “Mess Around” and “Geek Out[ii]” with Technology
Trust the Teens
Connect to your Community
- Saint Paul Public Library (SPPL)
- Science Museum of Minnesota (SMM)/Kitty Anderson Youth Science Center (KAYSC) trains the Createch staff and the Youth Job Corps (YJC) workers who make up the Teen Tech Crew (TTC).
- Saint Paul Parks and Recreation (SPP&R)
- Saint Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN)
- Others: University of Minnesota researcher Maggie Struck, LT Media Lab, Minnesota Historical Society,
Staff Willingness to Adapt and be Responsive